Author Topic: Zander Class heavy cruiser / Deep Space Exploration WIP  (Read 2672 times)

Offline Joe

• Cookies: 11
Zander Class heavy cruiser / Deep Space Exploration WIP
« on: March 25, 2012, 03:35:37 PM »
This started as a crude drawing an STO friend of mine sent me in MS Paint. It was conceived as a bridging of new design styles and retro shapes. To be elegant and majestic more than futuristic and cutting edge. He envisioned it as a capital ship with the resources and power to be completely autonomous. For scale, the saucer is about 1.5x the width of the Galaxy's.

The oval bridge nodule on top that features the width and length to add emergency duty shift racks, a small lounge and its own escape pods. Under this nodule is a two deck high "promenade" area with glass from floor to ceiling before the familiar curve of the saucer begins. More specific details to follow.

This first image is just a blocking out of the general shape. It is made from several components for ease of conception and will be evolving as time goes on. 12k poly's as it sits with very inefficient geometry and useless subdivisions for the sake of providing a smooth silhouette.

-Joe

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
Re: Zander Class heavy cruiser / Deep Space Exploration WIP
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 06:32:41 PM »
*scratches head* makes me think of the design school used my Hyundai/Kia in the US (kinetic design, I think it's called?)

I think the "draft" thickness of the E-hull needs reduced, personally
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Joe

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 06:40:52 PM »
I def welcome all opinions and constructive criticism. But I am not sure what you mean on the draft thickness? To my knowledge, the draft of a ship has to do with depth below the waterline. By E-Hull, do you mean secondary hull? Or are you referring to the chines that spread out from the secondary hull almost like a fish tail? Thanks

-Joe

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 07:28:09 PM »
it looks like an excellent galaxy/excelsior hybrid :)

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 65535
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 08:14:47 PM »
it looks like an excellent galaxy/sovereign/excelsior hybrid :)

Fixed!!!

I def welcome all opinions and constructive criticism. But I am not sure what you mean on the draft thickness? To my knowledge, the draft of a ship has to do with depth below the waterline. By E-Hull, do you mean secondary hull? Or are you referring to the chines that spread out from the secondary hull almost like a fish tail? Thanks

-Joe

What he means is the Enterprise E Secondary hull shape hence E-Hull.  Personally I would make a deeper trench where the deflector is and add a Yacht like you see on the Enterprise E.
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline Joe

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 08:55:50 PM »
Oh NOW I understand lol. Yeah the width of the secondary hull is wide like a tree trunk. The idea behind that is a frontal silhouette that looks similar to the excelsior.

From an interior design standpoint, the entire saucer is designated for habitation only (complete with large hydroponics park), with all science labs, equipment and cargo bays in the thick trunk of the secondary hull. Kind of like the highrise living quarters of the ship sitting on top of the street level business district. If that makes ANY sense at all.

As far as captain's yachts are concerned, the saucer's shuttle bay holds two axillary craft similar in size to the Cousteau. Smaller runabouts and shuttle craft are in the aft bay. So there aren't any craft that detach from the exterior of the ship.

Offline Lurok91

• Cookies: 2062
  • SPMod Developer (Retired)
    • Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 05:39:49 AM »
Nice to see new modellers.   :)   *cookie*

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 08:47:03 AM »
sorry, some of us have an internal dictionary associated with this fandom, and Draft means the total vertical height, here.

it's just that e-hull looks like its suffering from a beesting or wasp venom reaction :P

OS novel fan

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Joe

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 10:32:13 AM »
it's just that e-hull looks like its suffering from a beesting or wasp venom reaction :P

Hope it brought its epi-pen

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 02:01:26 PM »
I like the overall shape of the secondary hull's side profile.  Not sure what I think of the "fin" shape at the back.  And It just seems to me that the saucer's a bit small proportionally, especially if it's supposed to house the entire crew.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 06:36:04 PM »
Hope it brought its epi-pen

:uberlol:
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 10:14:51 PM »
sorry, some of us have an internal dictionary associated with this fandom, and Draft means the total vertical height, here.

actually, I think the engineering hull's beam could be widened a bit.

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 10:50:06 PM »
I've got a concept sketch coming about where you may want to make some revisions.

Offline Joe

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 02:22:53 PM »
Sweet. My SLI cards in my desktop had been giving me some trouble and one of them died a couple months ago. Yesterday the second one died as well  :facepalm:

So I'm writing from my MacBook Pro. I have Maya installed on it but I don't have the file. Seeing as though the design is still in its infant stages I will just remodel it. Any suggestions would be welcome. Just remember the design is supposed to be minimalistic and retro.

-Joe

Offline Joe

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 02:33:38 PM »
Not sure what I think of the "fin" shape at the back.

Yeah thats probably going to go through some revisions but it was one of the more defining design cues in my buddies original concept, so I want to try and find a way to keep it somehow.

And It just seems to me that the saucer's a bit small proportionally, especially if it's supposed to house the entire crew.

Well theres some serious automation going on here. So the crew compliment is probably no more than 900. Using the galaxy for comparison, think of how the entire saucer was NOT used for habitation, but if it had, and was approximately 1.5 times its size, it would have room to spare.

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 04:51:39 PM »
Well then, if there's "serious automation", then there's even less of a reason for the secondary hull to be as large as it is, unless this thing has a massive warp core.  But that's just my line of thinking.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 05:44:51 PM »
My line of thinking?  I just worry about making them look good.  To hell with internal arrangement. :P

Offline captain_obvious

• The captain of obvious-ness
  • Cookies: 54
    • ARmy Rumour SErvice- British Army Unofficial community
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 06:47:03 PM »
I'd lengthen the sec hull by adding in a few extra "slices" in at the tallest/widest point of the sec hull.  It seems a bit stubby especially in comparison to the forward section when you look at it from the side

Swap the nacelles for something a little curvier/less blocky.  It's almost like kryten designed them :P
Maybe move the nacelles themselves backwards just a touch more? 
Is it just me or do they resemble the oberth somewhat?

I'd also Shrink the fan tail thing at the back especially where it's running along the sides. 

It needs a few changes but I do like the concept joe.  Keep it going :D
I miss :bigdance:

Offline TheConstable6

• ^LOL
  • Cookies: 10
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 07:04:13 PM »
I agree with everything the Captain said...including the part where he said he liked the design  ;)

Nacelles need the most work IMO. They are on the blocky side, and too closely spaced, and slightly too far forward, and a bit too big, and a tad too low.

Keep going though, it's a nice design and I would love to see it reach fruition  :yay:
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
 We are not now that strength which in old days
 Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
 One equal temper of heroic hearts,
 Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
 To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Offline Captain_D

• Captain of the Seafood Universe
  • Cookies: 5
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 02:25:00 AM »
Really like where your going with it, the pylons and aft part of the engines are cool to me. Would have to agree on the secondary hull, needs some hammering out there.

Keep up the good work. :thumbsup: