Author Topic: Doctor Who Series Topic Discussion - May Contain Spoilers  (Read 20891 times)

Offline laguardia528

• Cookies: 4
  • Inspiration comes to those who haven't got a clue
RE: Doctor Who Series Topic Discussion - May Contain Spoilers
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 03:34:42 PM »
the TV tardis has survived a war and is REALLY old with only one person to keep up with the houskeeping  :P

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2008, 03:49:32 PM »
I think they got mrs doubtfire jjust incase trouble :D

Offline limey BSc.

• JL Studios - Co-Founder
  • Cookies: 421
  • JL Studios - Co-Founder
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2008, 04:03:14 PM »
Also, TARDIS's are supposed to be manned by many Time Lords, not just one (as far as I remember), which could explain the bumpy ride.
MUSE!!!

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2008, 04:28:38 PM »
It's supposed to be used by multiple Time Lords, it's old, it needs a Time Lord to work as well (remember the translating powers).

Also, it's Time And Relative Dimensions In Space, meaning it's volume can change depending on the need, and Time Lords have always customized the interior of it to the liking of the day (or regeneration).
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline ChronowerX_GT

• ChronowerX Productions - Founder
  • Cookies: 36
    • ChronowerX Productions
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2008, 05:19:08 PM »
It's supposed to be used by multiple Time Lords, it's old, it needs a Time Lord to work as well (remember the translating powers).

Also, it's Time And Relative Dimensions In Space, meaning it's volume can change depending on the need, and Time Lords have always customized the interior of it to the liking of the day (or regeneration).

But wouldn't anyone choose somthing nicer? Besides the last two doctors have the same layout.

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is kinda like having a peeing section in a pool...

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2008, 05:28:52 PM »
Apperantly, he still liked it? And didn't someone say he has done some decorating as well (Martha maybe)?

I think the layout has "evolved" between each doctor, taking over elements of the last one as they go.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline El

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 123
  • Former Vice Admin
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2008, 05:58:24 PM »
It has.

Remember the TARDIS in the movie was aimed at the American market.

Plus the interior is nothing like a holodeck, it doesn't appear bigger on the inside, it is bigger on the inside

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2008, 06:16:56 PM »
Apperantly, he still liked it? And didn't someone say he has done some decorating as well (Martha maybe)?

I think the layout has "evolved" between each doctor, taking over elements of the last one as they go.

Actually, it was Sarah-Jane Smith who said that to the Doctor in 'School Reunion'.

Don't forget though, it has been stated that TARDIS's are grown not built. It has also shown signs of sentience meaning it is alive. It would most likely have the ability to look however it chooses.

Also, since the Time War events severed the TARDIS from its main power link on Gallifrey, it has had to survive on alternate forms of power before settleing for the energy coming from the temporal and dimensional rift flowing through Cardiff. Think of it as a 'drug trip for the TARDIS', lol.
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline Glempius

• Master of Science!
  • Cookies: 51
  • Dyin' inna fiar, plz hold
    • My Page -- Team Lynxifer
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2008, 06:27:49 PM »
The current TARDIS is a battered type 40, which (after the desrtuction of the master's TARDIS way back when) is the last of it's model in existence. The most recent TARDIS model was the type 120 which was still in its proto-type stages with the type 80 being the most commonly used. To put it bluntly the TARDIS would not pass it's MOT, it's held together with spit and gaffa tape.

The main reason for the jumpiness of TARDIS travel these days is likely to be a result of the destruction of Galifrey and therefore the subsequent destruction of the eye of harmony which used to power all TARDISes. I still have a great deal of trouble with this "heart of the TARDIS" and "time vortex" terminology being banded about, quite simply because it sounds crap.

In conclusion the TARDIS has been broken for ages, frequently malfunctions and does things its not supposed to do even when its having a good day.

I also believe the interior of the TARDIS for the 8th doctor TV movie is easily the best interior.

And a random fact: The TARDIS has a Zeppelin hanger

Offline captain_obvious

• The captain of obvious-ness
  • Cookies: 54
    • ARmy Rumour SErvice- British Army Unofficial community
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2008, 07:40:57 PM »

Actually, it was Sarah-Jane Smith who said that to the Doctor in 'School Reunion'.

Don't forget though, it has been stated that TARDIS's are grown not built. It has also shown signs of sentience meaning it is alive. It would most likely have the ability to look however it chooses.

Also, since the Time War events severed the TARDIS from its main power link on Gallifrey, it has had to survive on alternate forms of power before settleing for the energy coming from the temporal and dimensional rift flowing through Cardiff. Think of it as a 'drug trip for the TARDIS', lol.

huzzahh for cardiff! that's my hometown :mrgreen:

So the tardis is the reliant robin of timelord life?
I miss :bigdance:

Offline laguardia528

• Cookies: 4
  • Inspiration comes to those who haven't got a clue
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2008, 08:49:42 PM »

absolutley. think of the doctor as batman  :D

on a side note, considering the TARDIS is alive, couldn't that make it a companion for the Doc?

Offline ChronowerX_GT

• ChronowerX Productions
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2008, 03:14:16 PM »

LMAO, he meant the 3 wheeled car, not Bat Man & Robin.

It has.

Remember the TARDIS in the movie was aimed at the American market.

Plus the interior is nothing like a holodeck, it doesn't appear bigger on the inside, it is bigger on the inside

I meant in the way that the interior could be changed in an instant to look as he wanted it to. But looking at the TARDIS now, it seems logical to conclude that, that feature (if it was there) doesn't work anymore.

I also believe the interior of the TARDIS for the 8th doctor TV movie is easily the best interior.

Easily, also the Master from the movie was easily the best.

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is kinda like having a peeing section in a pool...

Offline RCgothic

• Retired Staff
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2008, 05:03:42 PM »
A tardis is also supposed to be operated by more than one time lord. That's why the Doctor and the Master have do dash around teh central console to operate it.

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2008, 06:04:28 PM »

on a side note, considering the TARDIS is alive, couldn't that make it a companion for the Doc?

I certainly did mean the old 3 wheeled car.  Like the one in only fools and horses, or the one in mr bean (that's always getting rammed off the road by bean in his mini)

Offline ChronowerX_GT

• ChronowerX Productions
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2008, 06:09:49 PM »

I certainly did mean the old 3 wheeled car.  Like the one in only fools and horses, or the one in mr bean (that's always getting rammed off the road by bean in his mini)

LMAO, I like the episode where Bean is in the car park and he charges at it in his Mini and it falls over. (Actually, the car used in Only Fools and Horses and Bean wasn't a Reliant Robin but in fact a Reliant Regal :D)

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2008, 06:18:03 PM »

LMAO, I like the episode where Bean is in the car park and he charges at it in his Mini and it falls over. (Actually, the car used in Only Fools and Horses and Bean wasn't a Reliant Robin but in fact a Reliant Regal :D)

geek :P

Offline RCgothic

• Retired Staff
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2008, 07:04:00 PM »
Back on topic now.

Offline Vanguard

• Cookies: 5
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2008, 07:22:38 PM »
I think the look of the TARDIS depends on who is operating it, or which regeneration ( of course, the BBC's budget too =P ) as if anyone remembers the children in need special, Peter Davidson stated in it "You've changed the desktop theme haven't you! Whats this one? Coral? It's worse than the liquid skin!" So maybe the TARDIS' desktop theme, is how it's interior looks.

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2008, 03:39:51 AM »
I think the look of the TARDIS depends on who is operating it, or which regeneration ( of course, the BBC's budget too =P ) as if anyone remembers the children in need special, Peter Davidson stated in it "You've changed the desktop theme haven't you! Whats this one? Coral? It's worse than the liquid skin!" So maybe the TARDIS' desktop theme, is how it's interior looks.

so it could perhaps be like said earlier a pseudo holodeck?

Pegasus

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2008, 04:31:05 AM »
Don't we have a DR. Who thread floating around somewhere....?