Author Topic: Man of Steel Discussion  (Read 1841 times)

Offline ShaunKL

• Cookies: 3
  • Semper Exploro
    • My YouTube Channel
Man of Steel Discussion
« on: April 16, 2013, 09:51:08 PM »
Epic trailer time!

:yay:
Thanks for letting me know the forum was back up, guys.  I thought everyone died.

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
Re: Man of Steel Discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 07:02:52 PM »
It's a Superman movie where he actually PUNCHES his enemy.  I'm all in.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 10:37:19 PM »

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 10:48:11 PM »
At least they put some effort into saving civilians...

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
  • Cookies: 28
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 10:31:09 AM »
Damn, now I wanna see MOS. Glad that the colours in the suit are showing better than some of the BTS shots.

Offline limey BSc.

• JL Studios - Co-Founder
  • Cookies: 421
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 02:25:28 PM »
From a friend on Facebook:
"Man of Steel is about the best film you'll get about the world's mightiest Boy Scout. Zero suspense, zero chemistry with Lois Lane, a one dimensional villain and a very ungrateful dog. Still, better than the last effort"
MUSE!!!

Offline nxadam1701

• Cookies: 20
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 03:13:55 PM »
Ouch! :facepalm:

But I appreciate a blunt review. Not wasting my pennies. I'll wait for Netflix or Prime.

Adam

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 04:40:52 PM »
The problem with reviews is that they are opinionated. You get a different view based on different peoples tastes. The majority seem to think that it's a good movie. What I dislike at the minute is how the next one has been fast tracked because this one did so well. It's basically the studio saying: "This one got the money. Don't give a shit how good the next one is, just get it here sooner so that we can fill our pockets sooner, rather than spend sufficient time developing it and making it even better."

I like that JJ and crew fought that and got Into Darkness out in their own time, when THEY felt that it was ready.

Offline FarShot

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 06:15:48 PM »
57% on Rotten Tomatoes is not a good movie, Vortex.  That's certified rotten, at best an "okay" movie, which is what I think of it.

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 06:52:21 PM »
57% on Rotten Tomatoes is not a good movie, Vortex.  That's certified rotten, at best an "okay" movie, which is what I think of it.

Bull.  It was bloody amazing. :dontcare:

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline FarShot

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 09:03:57 PM »
If by 'amazing', you mean grim derpier, dramatic death poses that defy physics, massive amounts of collateral damage and not a tear shed, and the general emo-iffying treatment of Clark Kent, then yes, it's amazing.

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 08:40:16 PM »
If by 'amazing', you mean grim derpier, dramatic death poses that defy physics, massive amounts of collateral damage and not a tear shed, and the general emo-iffying treatment of Clark Kent, then yes, it's amazing.
Emo-iffying?  I'm sorry, but the whole point of Superman is that he's a bloody f***ing ALIEN on EARTH.  You don't just run around willy nilly all bloody happy when you realize that you are literally alone in the world.

As for the collateral damage...IT IS A MOVIE!  Superman taking Zod out into the wasteland to avoid "collateral damage" does NOT make for exciting screentime.  And Superman has had his moments of not giving a damn about collateral.  His fight with Doomsday comes to mind.
57% on CRITICS ONLY.  Critics are IDIOTS FarShot.  And from what I've heard, a lot of the "negative" reviews are trying to compare it to the Christopher Reeve Superman.  Which is the wrong thing to do.  Audience reception on Rotten Tomatoes is 82%.  Obviously, you didn't like it, that's your opinion.  But then, I am one of those that doesn't think the Dark Knight Trilogy is the end-all-be-all of superhero movies.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline FarShot

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 10:00:26 PM »
Those same critics who don't like this movie consistently ranked Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy highly, the new Trek movies highly, the Avengers highly, TWOK, FC...  Rotten Tomatoes is generally a fairly good aggregate review site.  So unless you're willing to extend your "they're idiots" argument to all those movies...

"It is a movie" is generally not a good argument to defend a movie.  It's sort of like the Nazi Germany argument fallacy.

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 11:22:38 PM »
Well, to be fair...I wouldn't rank the Dark Knight trilogy very highly.  All of them as an average to me would be 7/10.  Batman Begins is good, but very slow to get to the main event...you know...BATMAN.  The Dark Knight is the best of the bunch, but my god, there is NO room to breathe at the end, it just accelerates endlessly during the last act.  The Dark Knight Rises....the plot was insane.  Just plain insane.  So yeah.  I don't often agree with critics, and I definitely do not in the case of Man of Steel.  It really feels like they're comparing them to the older Superman films.

Either way Farshot, it comes down to the fact that I freaking loved the movie and feel like everyone that doesn't is at least partly nuts, and you don't like the movie and think I'm nuts. :P

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline FarShot

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 11:39:55 PM »
I'll just say that I haven't met a single person who doesn't love the TDK Trilogy.  So yeah.  You're most definitely nuts. :P

Offline limey BSc.

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 02:14:32 AM »
Ok ladies, calm down. It's just a film.
MUSE!!!

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 07:47:15 AM »
I'll just say that I haven't met a single person who doesn't love the TDK Trilogy.  So yeah.  You're most definitely nuts. :P

I'm not saying they're bad films.  I'm not even saying I dislike them, I do.  I just don't think they're perfect masterpieces like a lot of people do. :P  Batman '89 FTW.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 09:54:10 AM »

They were in the 80% range on there the last I heard. It's still all opinion. I've yet to hear of anyone I know who's seen it not liking it.

Offline FarShot

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 02:17:38 PM »
I'm talking about the critic rating, not the audience rating.  Last I checked, the world was mostly full of idiots.

MODERATING POWERS, ACTIVATE!!!  THREADIMUS SPLITICUS!!!

Offline nxadam1701

• Cookies: 20
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 04:36:05 PM »
I'm talking about the critic rating, not the audience rating.  Last I checked, the world was mostly full of idiots.

MODERATING POWERS, ACTIVATE!!!  THREADIMUS SPLITICUS!!!

Rofl :funny: