Author Topic: E3  (Read 1659 times)

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
E3
« on: June 11, 2013, 07:58:10 AM »
PS4

That is all.
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Killallewoks

• RNR
  • Cookies: 175
  • Innuendo implier extordanaire.
Re: E3
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 08:09:11 AM »
The thing is all Sony had to do was say the right things and not F*** up. It did it with flying colours. 

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 08:17:14 AM »
I think it's definitely possible for PS4 to win the "Next-Gen" race. Hardware is virtually identical between the two consoles, but Sony seems to me going the better route in terms of privacy, supporting older/used games, not to mention, launch cost.

Microsoft is trying to turn Xbox One into an "All-in-one" console, which is a decent goal, but... Don't advertise that the console can "do everything", and then remove the ability to run older games, play used games etc. Not to mention, the Kinect is a huge security issue, since it's always on, and capable of monitoring both sound and picture within the room.

Hate to say it, but my next console might be "Sony" branded :P
Official BCC Discord ยท https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
  • Cookies: 28
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 10:00:30 AM »
Shan't be going either. Dislike Sony and MS... I don't know what they're doing anymore but they're awful. Waiting for the SteamBox.

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 10:20:47 AM »
Sony is actually doing real well and they actually listened. MS seems to be way more deep into the pockets.

Offline Killallewoks

• RNR
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 04:52:05 PM »
Also Battlefront 3 has been announced.  :yay: :drool:  :bow: I hope to god it's just as good 1 and 2.

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 08:30:41 PM »
I'd hope its better.  Any true fan of Star Wars would be appalled by the liberties they took for gameplay mechanics.

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 04:43:05 PM »
Gonna be the devil's advocate (or just the cynical pessimist), re: the new Battlefront - it's just called "Star Wars: Battlefront". It's not Battlefront III - it's not a sequel. It's a reboot. And, as anyone who's played the new SimCity knows, EA does not have a good track record with reboots.

Now people are saying that the developer is good, they did the Battlefield games, and those are supposedly the basis for the Battlefront games. We'll see. But given EA's rapidly deteriorating reputation, you'll understand if I save my optimism until I see the product.
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 07:57:25 AM »
Gonna be the devil's advocate (or just the cynical pessimist), re: the new Battlefront - it's just called "Star Wars: Battlefront". It's not Battlefront III - it's not a sequel. It's a reboot. And, as anyone who's played the new SimCity knows, EA does not have a good track record with reboots.

Now people are saying that the developer is good, they did the Battlefield games, and those are supposedly the basis for the Battlefront games. We'll see. But given EA's rapidly deteriorating reputation, you'll understand if I save my optimism until I see the product.
^This.  But supposedly the developer isn't just doing Star Wars + Battlefield.  If they're smart, they'll pick up where the last Battlefront developers left off.

And yes, Sony just curb-stomped Microsoft.  Still not getting a PS4 anytime soon.  The Wii U on the other hand...MEGA MAN IN SMASH BROS!

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 03:22:54 PM »
And to add a bit of snark: It's thanks to the XBox, XBox 360 and now XBox One that Microsoft hasn't reached Windows 12 or whatever yet. We're still on 8.  :D
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 07:56:10 AM »
And to add a bit of snark: It's thanks to the XBox, XBox 360 and now XBox One that Microsoft hasn't reached Windows 12 or whatever yet. We're still on 8.  :D

Than god for the Xbox. Then, else we'd have another 4 lousy versions of windows to bitch about. :p

Re: Battlefront. I hope that they keep the on foot>in fighter>fly out of planet into space battle thing. That looked really cool when they showed that off.

Offline Killallewoks

• RNR
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 09:15:08 AM »
I was overall impressed by this years E3, had a good variety of games and a nice direction to sandboxes instead of FPS's. Shame there was no Star Citizen or Elite: Dangerous but beggars can't be choosers. Battlefield 4 looked pretty solid though. 

I was not impressed by Microsoft but then again I don't think anyone is. I think MS problem is this Sony><Microsoft><Apple. Too much global marketing on trying to appeal to too many people. Windows was fine with continuing what 7 built on but because of that growing tablet market they had to change their entire flagship product. Same with the Xbox, it doesn't need to be a dedicated multimedia machine because in theory the Xbox 360 all ready is. The DRM on discs isn't needed because the game developers/publishers believe that the used game market is destroying them, it isn't. Remember pirates? Why has that suddenly become a non issue? The problem is massive budgets with focus on fidelity and a short time span to develop.   

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 09:38:51 AM »
You hit it right on the head. I think all MS will do here is encourage pirating, if anything. People will find away around it, they always do.

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 10:35:03 AM »
first, there's rumors of fees to play even USED games on the Xbox update, now Sony is throwing them (fees) around!

for pete's sakes, isn't 400 bucks enough?!

my partner wants to get a PS 4, but no back compatability, AGAIN, is putting me off on top of the ridiculous prices.  when a console costs more than a paycheck, even sold at a loss...forget it.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline TheConstable6

• ^LOL
  • Cookies: 10
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 05:48:53 PM »
DESTINY
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
 We are not now that strength which in old days
 Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
 One equal temper of heroic hearts,
 Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
 To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 06:44:47 PM »
THE WITCHER 3   :drool:

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 09:24:04 PM »
first, there's rumors of fees to play even USED games on the Xbox update, now Sony is throwing them (fees) around!

for pete's sakes, isn't 400 bucks enough?!

my partner wants to get a PS 4, but no back compatability, AGAIN, is putting me off on top of the ridiculous prices.  when a console costs more than a paycheck, even sold at a loss...forget it.
What fees?  PS4 isn't charging fees for used games or for lending games.  Only new fee they're adding is that PlayStation Plus is required to play online.

Okay, I hate to sound like a Sony or Nintendo fanboy here, but what in the hell is going on with Microsoft?!  For the past few years, they've been the trusted go-to for gamers, most of my friends have 360's and preferred Microsoft over Sony, and now...this load of bullshit.

1) No backwards compatibility.  Okay, PS4 doesn't have it either, but that was one of the big things about the 360.  "Hey, Sony won't let you play your old games on your new console, but we will!"  And now they eliminate it?  What the hell?
2) Always online.  So, you HAVE to have an internet connection.  I assume this also means you have to have an XBox Live Subscription(not sure how much that is, but tack that onto the $499 price tag for the system).  This also means that your new XBox One is a brick if your internet goes out.  That's literally what I'm getting from what they're saying, and in fact Microsoft is telling consumers with no internet, "Stick with the 360."  That is really a dick thing to say.
3) Used games/rented games/loaned games.  Okay, so one thing coming out of the always online thing is that there is a daily check to make sure your games aren't pirated.  Okay...annoying, but okay.  Then you have to pay fees if you buy a used game, which I assume also extends to game rentals, and also if you loan your game to someone else.  Also a dick move.  If I want my buddy to play Destiny, but he doesn't have the money to afford his own copy right now, I can't even loan it to him without it costing money.
4) Big ****ing Brother.  This is the part that REALLY scares me.  The XBox One comes with Kinect.  It requires Kinect.  It needs Kinect.  At all times.  This camera/microphone is literally watching and recording EVERYTHING.  This is some scary stuff.  This alone has put me even more solidly in the Sony/Nintendo camp.  I literally want nothing to do with this new XBox at all.

AND!  Just to deepen my hatred for the company.  Apparently some Microsoft employees were showing up at Best Buys during E3 when Nintendo had Wii U's demoing some of the games on the E3 game floor, ie. Wind Waker HD, Pikmin 3, etc., and were saying to people in lines, "Why bother with the Wii U when the XBox One is right around the corner?"  This is outright SNIPING against Nintendo, and a rather crummy business practice to boot.  Hopefully these people were acting on their own and not under orders from their bosses.

Go Sony and Nintendo.  You guys stay classy.  Microsoft...get BACK to class, please.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 09:51:25 PM »
backwards compatibility requires older hardware/software they would need a 360 in the XboxOne for that to work. That adds cost. So no there.
Also PS4 does let you play older games on it but you need to register on their cloud gaming services where they stream you the games over the net.

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 11:06:46 PM »
backwards compatibility requires older hardware/software they would need a 360 in the XboxOne for that to work. That adds cost. So no there.
Also PS4 does let you play older games on it but you need to register on their cloud gaming services where they stream you the games over the net.
My Wii plays Gamecube games.  The Wii U plays Wii games.  And Nintendo's portable consoles have always been backwards compatible at least one generation back.  NONE of these have been super expensive.  ;)

And I don't care about streaming my games dammit.  I don't have internet that good.  If I wanted to play a game that acted like the disk was scratched, I'd scratch my disks.  PS4 uses a Blu-Ray player.  To my knowledge, the games are on Blu-Ray disks.  EXACTLY LIKE PS3.  PROGRAM AN EMULATOR YOU LAZY BASTARDS.  Seriously, if NINTENDO can do it, so can Sony.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2013, 02:52:28 AM »
My Wii plays Gamecube games.  The Wii U plays Wii games.  And Nintendo's portable consoles have always been backwards compatible at least one generation back.  NONE of these have been super expensive.

That's because Nintendo has good emulation software for the older gamecube system... Architecture hasn't really changed between their systems at least in my eye for instance the Wii U is just an updated Wii not much has changed between them.

Now it is a completely different story for Playstation and Xbox.

When the PS3 first came out to have backwards compatibility it had a PS2 chip and emulation hardware built onto its motherboard that cost Sony and consumers lots to keep. It wasn't just Bluray that made the PS3 $600 on release... it essentially had a PS2 built in. This is why it's price dropped so much on the 2nd gen PS3, backwards compatibility was dropped.  The PS3 also uses a Cell processor(completely different from what you find in a PC) which is hell to code for! This is why you don't see many PS3 games ported(or ported well). No publisher liked working on it to begin with.

The PS4 on the other hand does not use a cell processor and is more in line with PCs today (using a AMD APU) so it is easier to code games on but loses its backwards compatibility with PS3 games instantly.

I don't know the story behind the Xbox but I bet it is similar where they don't want to add hardware(extra cost) to the motherboard just to allow backwards compatibility... they rather you keep using the 360. That is why they say the 360 still has 5 years left in its lifespan.