Author Topic: Star Trek Beyond - Images, Videos, Discussion, etc  (Read 3716 times)

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
Star Trek Beyond - Images, Videos, Discussion, etc
« on: August 12, 2014, 10:02:16 AM »
So I saw a report that says JJ Abrams wont be directing the next trek. A guy call Roberto Orci is taking over.
is this good?
I'm guessing less lense flare lol
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline 1DeadlySAMURAI

• Cookies: 139
  • Do'h
Re: startrek XIII
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 10:56:30 AM »
He's done a lot of producing but this will be his first directing job. I hope he can pull it off.

Offline nxadam1701

• Cookies: 20
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 11:33:36 AM »
Let's be real, can it get any worse. :-p

Offline hobbs

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 12:06:36 PM »
well im hoping that they change the ships design to something less jj ish... they could even have spock change the direction of ship design back towards (but not the same as) the Prime Universe.
also spock can give any and all info to the alternate universe as it wont impact the temporal prime directive due to the future not having been written in the jj verse.
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
  • Cookies: 28
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 01:43:11 PM »
Save for jumping into the TMP era, they won't change the design as there's no reason for them to. Accept it and move on. At the end of the day, it's superficial. Spock stated in the last movie his reasons for not divulging any information. The future "not being written" would make it even more dangerous to reveal anything. There's no certainty for him. As time doesn't exist as one point, the rest of the timeline exists and him saying anything could hugely screw it up just as much as when Nero destroyed Vulcan.

Offline hobbs

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 05:48:20 PM »
i wasn't meaning to bash the designs just indicating a personal preference, sorry.

as for the revealing info... are you saying he cant as it will screw up the future of this jj verse? that (to me) makes no sense as that universe has no future at present. i mean the new reality was created at the point in the past of the prime verse where the nerada appeared. at that moment a new reality and new time line began so there is no "tomorrow" to mess up.

Offline baz1701

• Cookies: 1434
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 08:13:16 AM »
I'm guess that as Robert was one of the writers for the last two films he will stick to the same story style and be a 5 year mission based movie.

I cannot see him being able as a first time director to be able to change the look to much and nor should he like or not this style is here to stay even if JJ has gone.
Whatever knocks us back, can only make us stronger.

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 09:58:16 AM »
I can understand people not liking the designs, there's plenty of of canon designs that are terrible. It's just that it's now 5 years later and people are still beating the same horse.

as for the revealing info... are you saying he cant as it will screw up the future of this jj verse? that (to me) makes no sense as that universe has no future at present. i mean the new reality was created at the point in the past of the prime verse where the nerada appeared. at that moment a new reality and new time line began so there is no "tomorrow" to mess up.

Of course it has a future. Just as we have a future. If we didn't, there'd be no tomorrow. Time isn't physical, it's perception. Past, present and future exist all at once, it's the only way it can work. Saying that there is no written future is the same as saying there is no written past. Which is ridiculous, because we know otherwise. The only difference between past and future is that we've perceived one and not the other.

It's like pausing a move half way through. You've seen the first half and know what it is, you haven't seen the second half yet but know that it must be there for you to watch.

When Nero destroyed the Kelvin, it made a new, different timeline. The timeline would then be altered again when Spock came through years later, because it would be an outside influence. The temporal directive would still very much apply.

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 01:35:11 PM »
Americans still have a hate-on for the JJprise due to our general distaste for curves on vehicles.  Normally, Starships seem to reflect the design aesthetics for cars of the era they were designed in.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline nxadam1701

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 02:09:14 PM »
Ironically I like the fleet, ever since WC made the fleet pack it has really grown on me.
The only ones I find way over the top were Neros ship the Narada, the Vulcan Jelly Fish and the new Enterprise. The fleet IMHO is a little more realistic in terms of the military using designs that have purpose so they look rugged, engines huge, str8 to the point. Not the flashy we are rich kind of designs that IMO should be like on a private corporate transport etc...

But back on topic, I'm sure we will see the new Excelsior or Miranda at least prototype or in actual service.
I'm thinking more Klingon and maybe Romulans too. Although it be nice to see if they push the boundaries this time and make something new in terms of ideas.
Maybe a Gorn or a Tholian plot. Hmmm regardless I think he will be a new fresh breath of air.

A friend of mine suggested they could do mirror mirror but instead of the new enterprise being mirrored it can actually be the old enterprise in an alternate reality so the Trekkies who really hate the new movies could get a tid bit of what they wanted but with a twist. The possibilities are endless but like everyone I hope we get a sneak peek trailer soon.

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 12:09:37 PM »
I didn't really like what happened to STID, movie itself was poorly written and had some really lazy plot devices... I really liked ST XI, it seemed fun and TBH it was whole lot better than Insurrection or Nemesis. As for the ships, I liked them all except for Vengence :P

As for ST XIII, if Orci delivers the same sort of nonsense writing as it was in Into Darkness then I'm affraid it won't be any better than the Amazing Spiderman 2 ;)

I hope to see more grown up crew, preferably after the 5 years mission, plot with klingons maybe ;) 

Offline nxadam1701

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 12:37:02 PM »
Forgot about the Vengeance. Smh.
I will say the Klingon tease got me. He did make them even more intimidating with the new outfits and face mask. I was not too fond of the Klingon ship either. Found it weird, seeing all the originals, then becoming familiar with SFC and SFBs it just didn't compute in my head but I'm hoping for the best.

Anyways, has anyone found any info as to possible plots, ships, story arcs, anything. Seems to me like everyone has their mouth shut on this one.

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 01:35:41 PM »
hopefully, we won't get yet another rehash of a TOS/TMP series plot...but I have a distinct feeling we're gonna see the one with the whales...AGAIN!
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline nxadam1701

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 01:55:34 PM »
Whales!...... whales!....... Ehhh
:-/

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 05:08:00 PM »
I really like the Klingon ships.  You must remember that they're very small attack vessels, runabout sized.  We don't even know if they're space worthy.  Expecting it to look like a smaller B'rel/K'tinga/Raptor would be like imagining a runabout to have a little tiny saucer, secondary hull, or top-mounted bridge.

Now here's an argument that I think isn't thrown about often enough - There is so much diversity in aesthetics, appearance, language, and culture on just our planet alone, so why should we expect every alien planet out there to be a "planet of hats" as it's said?  Huge props to Neville Page for dicing up the Klingon formula some more - the way it was, I could say "Klingons are tough broad-shouldered warrior types with dreadlocked black hair and forehead ridges."  It's almost as bad as saying humans are "blonde haired white skinned smooth browed creatures."  Alien bio-diversity in fiction way too rarely reflects the same level of diversity as what we have here on Earth.

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 10:10:23 AM »
Not to mention that the cultures aren't always diverse.

I really liked the D4, it was a cool ship.

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 10:32:40 AM »
Best it ever gets on alien planets in Star Trek is two continent-countries who have been warring for decades over a trivial difference, like wearing socks or something stupid like that.

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2014, 03:54:37 PM »
People... wear socks?

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2014, 04:53:04 PM »
yes ... you wanna start a war ? :D

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2014, 07:26:07 AM »
Hell yeah!! I'll pummel you with my towel!!