Author Topic: Ship/Class Names  (Read 2651 times)

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
Ship/Class Names
« on: June 29, 2009, 03:34:29 PM »
Have you ever noticed that Federation ships names always seem to be English or Earth related? How come we never seen and UFP ships with Alien names and Alien class names? Its a "United" Federation of Planets, yet all the ships seem to be Earth based. That sorta bugged me. I'm sure it is for the viewers sake so they don't have to remember a crazy name or what ever.

Any thoughts?

What was the name of Shran's ship? Maybe the Federation ship out there with that name.

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
  • Cookies: 28
Re: Ship/Class Names
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 04:13:10 PM »
Because Starfleet is from Earth. We never really get to see any other UFP Ships. Very rarely do we see a Vulcan or Andorian ship (Excluding Enterprise, which is Pre-UFP anyway.)

Don't make the mistake that a lot of people do and take Starfleet/ UFP to mean the same thing. Starfleet is just one of the fleets in the UFP.

Offline CyAn1d3

• MacDill Shipyards Design Team
  • Cookies: 420
  • RETIRED
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 04:18:03 PM »
well ive learned something new
I came, i saw, i added a Sig.
Later gents, i have Youtube to take over.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 04:37:40 PM »
nah, I think starfleet is a multicultural group just like the federation, why else do we see so many aliens in starfleet.  I think the main reason we don't see many alien or even non-English names is the RW fact that it is an American show.  Although I don't think it's that uncommon for non English/human ships, The Akira for example is a Japanese name, then there's the USS Zapata, the Tian An Men, the Akagi, the Tsiolkovskii, the Honshu and a few other cannon ships that have non English Earth names, we've seen a few Alien names too; the Shir'kahr, T'Kumbra, T'Pau, Surak and the Sitak are Vulcan names used by Federation ships.

Offline Phaser

• Star Trek Canon Authority
  • Cookies: 231
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 10:55:20 PM »
the main reason we don't see many alien or even non-English names is the RW fact that it is an American show.
QFT

Although I don't think it's that uncommon for non English/human ships, The Akira for example is a Japanese name, then there's the USS Zapata, the Tian An Men, the Akagi, the Tsiolkovskii, the Honshu and a few other cannon ships that have non English Earth names, we've seen a few Alien names too; the Shir'kahr, T'Kumbra, T'Pau, Surak and the Sitak are Vulcan names used by Federation ships.
Dang, you beat me to it with the Sitak!  There's also the Kyushu, the Zhukov, and the Crazyhorse.  And those are just off the top of my head.  Others that I found/was reminded of from The Star Trek Archive: Yamaguchi, Ahwahnee, Al-Batani, Okinawa, Tecumseh, Yamato, Sarajevo, Korolev, and T'Kumbra.

...I guess you hit a nerve!

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 12:59:43 AM »
The USS Gorkon was an Excelsior class ship named after the Klingon Chancellor.

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 02:47:08 AM »
huh where?
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 03:33:46 AM »
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/USS_Gorkon
there's also the Tolstoy, the Lakota, the Musashi, the Kongo, the Cortez, the Buran, the Gandhi, the list goes on.

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 11:02:45 AM »
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/USS_Gorkon
there's also the Tolstoy, the Lakota, the Musashi, the Kongo, the Cortez, the Buran, the Gandhi, the list goes on.

That still sticks with the mostly Earth related names though.

Wow, I never knew there was a Gorkon. Thanks for pointing out the other ships too.

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »
I tend to think that each member government can have it's own fleet, so long as it syncs with the Federation government.  For example, the Vulcans might operate ships of their own design in their own fleet, doing what they wish, just as long as they don't conflict with Starfleet operations.  You could use an analogy.
Starfleet is to the US Navy,
and the Vulcan space armada is to the US Coast Guard.

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 01:45:32 PM »
I think there are Vulcan designed ships in starfleet, but Human designs are more prevalent in starfleet because most of the Yards and R&D is in the sol system, also, by the 23rd and 24th centuries, the vulcans are pacifists, maybe their ship designs aren't seen as much because they aren't designed for combat.

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Cookies: 151
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 06:09:57 AM »
Also it seems that not every member world or system has its own shipyards or starship development department.

And on a second point Starfleet seems to be mainly composed of humans judging from the Enterprise-D's, E's, DS9's, and Voyager's crew compliments so humans may make up the bulk of staff at the main shipyards in Sector 001 hense the mostly Earth names of ship classes and individual ship names.

Can't think of any other alien names that haven't already been mentioned but the ones which always spring to my mind are the two Mirandas with Vulcan names.

We have seen Vulcan ships within the Federation in The Motion Picture and TNG's Unification.

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 08:32:08 AM »
Within the Federation, yes. But not Starfleet.

Starfleet is the Earth Fleet, which is why they are mostly names from Earth.

Offline newman

• Cookies: 33
  • Hello, Jerry.
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2009, 11:08:12 AM »
You're seriously overthinking this. They gave the ships earth names because the show was meant for the earth audience, which will then in turn find the names cool as they know what they mean. I personally prefer the ships to be called "Enterprise" or "Constellation" then "tran'plaq'beq" just so it's more "realistic" and multicultural. It's a sci-fi show, not real life.

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2009, 03:17:02 PM »
It's a sci-fi show, not real life.

:shock: :shock: Wait!? What?!! :shock:

Offline CyAn1d3

• RETIRED
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2009, 07:52:09 PM »

:shock: damn all this time.....
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2009, 10:19:26 PM »
You're seriously overthinking this. They gave the ships earth names because the show was meant for the earth audience, which will then in turn find the names cool as they know what they mean. I personally prefer the ships to be called "Enterprise" or "Constellation" then "tran'plaq'beq" just so it's more "realistic" and multicultural. It's a sci-fi show, not real life.
QFT

also, one of the first things I said in this thread.

I would like to point out that in DS9: Rapture, that's the episode where Sisko had all those visions, one of the concerns the federation had was how they were going to integrate the Bajoran Militia into Starfleet once Bajor joined the Federation.

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 09:56:13 AM »
and, if you haven't noticed, most other species simply don't name individual ships.  that's an earth tradition, and may be a thing for the Human species.  also, Gene Roddenberry himself was a Navy man, so he used familiar names (i think he was a butter-bar).  there are exceptions, but they're mostly in Novels.  and the ONLY thing that's cannon is Paramount's official productions.  this is not like the Lucasverse where everything HAS to be cannon.  otherwise, could y'uns get away with all these kitbashed ships?

I agree with newman...you're all thinking about it too hard.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline 1DeadlySAMURAI

• Cookies: 139
  • Do'h
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2009, 10:43:47 AM »

Don't listen too Newman. He's a devious liar. :P

Offline CyAn1d3

• RETIRED
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2009, 11:18:42 AM »

Don't listen too Newman. He's a devious liar. :P

whew, now my perception of reality has been fixed  :dance
Cy - 1-12-15