Author Topic: TNG Remastered  (Read 13805 times)

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
TNG Remastered
« on: May 13, 2011, 02:26:09 PM »
http://trekweb.com/articles/2011/05/10/Rumor-Mill-Next-Generation-Coming-to-HD-with-DigitallyUpgraded-Special-Effects-.shtml

So it's looking more likely that TNG will get the remastered treatment that TOS got.  I personally would like to see it, TNG could use an HD upgrade and some better effects.  It doesn't look like DS9 or Voyager will be getting the treatment anytime soon though, besides they don't need it as bad as TNG does anyways...

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
Re: TNG Remastered
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 02:44:34 PM »
Would definitely be very cool... I just hate to think of how friggin' much the powers that be will charge for the DVD's.

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 03:07:53 PM »
well, about bleeping time.  TNG has been looking dated and worn out for the past 10 years.  and I don't mean the effects.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Killallewoks

• RNR
  • Cookies: 175
  • Innuendo implier extordanaire.
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 03:11:47 PM »
Cool we might something that look a lot like the last ep of ST:ENT you know with the fancy Ent-D and all.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 03:13:17 PM »
I'd say it's about time. TNG is/was my favorite of the Trek tv-series, until I became acquainted with the crew of DS9. Still, as TNG was the first show I ever watched, i'd love to see it remastered into the 21st century. Things i'd like to see remastered, are everything involving the Borg (adaptive shielding effects for ex, especially during Best of Both Worlds). Riker's reference in First Contact to being able to see several cities on the moon, with the naked eye. Would be nice if that were applied to any episode of TNG where the Enterprise is orbiting/visiting Earth.

Neither DS9, VOY or ENT needs remastering, but I could definitely see some remastering done to some of the effects-heavy episodes of DS9. Most notably, during the latter half of the Dominion War arc, in which (due to budget), the powers that be decided to reuse alot of the old battle scenes.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Morgan

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 03:21:53 PM »
I could definitely see some remastering done to some of the effects-heavy episodes of DS9. Most notably, during the latter half of the Dominion War arc, in which (due to budget), the powers that be decided to reuse alot of the old battle scenes.
I'd say DS9's special effects from the 1st-3rd seasons are in more need of a re-do than the later seasons.  Granted you have a point about the stock footage, but those scenes were still (mostly) digital and look good.

Offline sovereign001

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 10:42:16 AM »
Perhaps we could see some shielding in ds9 battles  :D

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 12:35:12 PM »
Perhaps we could see some shielding in ds9 battles  :D

unless you want friendly ships hitting their own sides shields... I say DS9 Ships are all skin shielded.
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 04:32:18 PM »
unless you want friendly ships hitting their own sides shields... I say DS9 Ships are all skin shielded.

One thing that occurs to me, regarding "Bubble shields" vs "Skin shields" (not to derail the topic, just an idea):

I don't think it's necessarily two different shield technologies, but rather that Starfleet decided it's more efficient in wartime, to "collapse" the bubble around the ships in order to decrease shield power consumption, thereby increasing available power to among other things damage control, and weapons. The collapsed shield (i.e skin shield), might not be as effective for protecting the ship while at warp, since it doesn't cover the whole "warp field", whereas the bubble configuration does.

Just a thought :P
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Erk

• never forget the name... Enterprise
  • Cookies: 5
  • Enterprise: boldness or readiness in undertaking
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 10:58:31 AM »
Awsome! A big issue I had with TNG was often the scaling. In BoBW the Ent-D and the Borg cube often looked the same size. Now with remastered shots of the ship, now we can see the Enterprise take damage, or fire more than 1 phaser in a battle (Yesterday's Enterprise) and more.  Ever since Star Trek XI, when the Enterprise drops out of warp in the debris field and is maneuvering around it, I thought it would be awesome if that was in Best of Both Worlds when the Enterprise reaches Wolf 359. I know that actually won't happen, but you could only imagine what they will do with that scene.

What I love the most about the TOS remastered is that the Enterprise now does/moves as the crew describes. It's really nice to see the old girl move through space, and now I'm excited to see the Ent-D do the same.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 03:41:47 PM »
Looking more and more likely that we will get a TNG-R sometime in the near future.  I'm excited!

http://trekweb.com/articles/2011/07/27/The-Next-Generation-Remastered-Coming-in-BluRay-in-2012-.shtml

I hope both parts of "The Best of Both Worlds" are in those test episodes they talk about.

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Cookies: 151
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 03:58:35 PM »
I'm trying to think of E-D heavy or special effects heavy shows.

BOBW is certainly up there, perhaps Cause and Effect and Yesterday's Enterprise. Any other ideas?

If this is done and is done right it will breathe new life into TNG like they did with TOS. Unique planets and ships and maybe they will get rid of the awful stock footage from Star Trek 3 when featuring the E-D and starbases!

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 04:07:09 PM »
I want to LOL at some of the picky people over on the trekweb site.
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 04:36:19 PM »
BOBW is certainly up there, perhaps Cause and Effect and Yesterday's Enterprise. Any other ideas
Oh "Yesterday's Enterprise" definitely needs to be on that list for sure! My last one would probably be either "Q Who", "Parallels", or "Timescape", but it's so hard to choose...

Offline CyAn1d3

• MacDill Shipyards Design Team
  • Cookies: 420
  • RETIRED
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 04:42:08 PM »
i would say go back and retouch ANY external shots, and remove the graininess of the old school filming.
i honestly cannot wait for this to come out.
I came, i saw, i added a Sig.
Later gents, i have Youtube to take over.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 06:53:49 PM »
I'm trying to think of E-D heavy or special effects heavy shows.

BOBW is certainly up there, perhaps Cause and Effect and Yesterday's Enterprise. Any other ideas?

If this is done and is done right it will breathe new life into TNG like they did with TOS. Unique planets and ships and maybe they will get rid of the awful stock footage from Star Trek 3 when featuring the E-D and starbases!

Perhaps Redemption?  That was a good episode, and fairly effects heavy.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 07:57:23 PM »
Gambit pt1&pt2, Descent, Encounter at Farpoint they were also special FX heavy

Offline deadthunder2_0

• Cookies: 39
  • Tech, Nonstop, General- Modders Of Steel
    • Modders of Steel Home page
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 01:03:40 AM »
BOBW is not on the list for the remake for me because it would be bad marketing as it is the best TNG episode rating wise and opinion wise for many fans.
There will most likely be a Season 2 classic so "Q Who" is my guess.
"The Neutral Zone" Because it is the first time we see the Romulan Warbird so it makes sense to give a peek at that.
"Farpoint" is a consideration but unlikely...
They will probably do "Where No One Has Gone Before" To show off some heavy Nebula/Galaxy effects
"The Battle" would be another good pick, but not as probable as-
"Peak Performance" because it has another Federation ship, and it is a teaser for other, larger battles.

My List-
"Q Who"
"The Neutral Zone"
"Where No One Has Gone Before"
"Peak Performance"
Support the Post TNG Ship Pack

Tech, Nonstop, General- Modders Of Steel,
We are the Modders that take everything to the next level, We are the Modders of Steel

Offline Killallewoks

• RNR
  • Cookies: 175
  • Innuendo implier extordanaire.
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 04:13:42 AM »
BOBW is not on the list for the remake for me because it would be bad marketing as it is the best TNG episode rating wise and opinion wise for many fans.
There will most likely be a Season 2 classic so "Q Who" is my guess.
"The Neutral Zone" Because it is the first time we see the Romulan Warbird so it makes sense to give a peek at that.
"Farpoint" is a consideration but unlikely...
They will probably do "Where No One Has Gone Before" To show off some heavy Nebula/Galaxy effects
"The Battle" would be another good pick, but not as probable as-
"Peak Performance" because it has another Federation ship, and it is a teaser for other, larger battles.

My List-
"Q Who"
"The Neutral Zone"
"Where No One Has Gone Before"
"Peak Performance"

I see where your coming from but CBS would do the most famous eps for marketing and to generate the most revenue. They did the same with TOS by doing the doomsdy machine and that one with the m5 unit.

Offline sovereign001

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 11:14:07 AM »

Yeah, but the thing is, if you look at way of the warrior, we saw the defiant getting hit by the vor'cha attack cruiser and we saw the bubble shields!

Some say the budget was too short and they dropped it, other say that it was because of the polaron weaponry.

I have my doubts, i think they did this for more coolness. What's cool if we see blue bubbles everywhere.