Author Topic: Something ive ordered from Frontier Models, BUUUUT.....  (Read 2371 times)

Offline flarespire

• The one who breaks the cycle.
  • Cookies: 47
  • God Green God Dammit!
Something ive ordered from Frontier Models, BUUUUT.....
« on: August 05, 2011, 07:00:27 PM »
Ok so i ordered a Voyager Tricorder kit from Frontier Models (here: http://www.frontiermodels.co.uk/Star-Trek-Voyager-TRICORDER-p-20086.html ) an it says on the page "It includes two solid resin pieces, clear resin sensor pieces, hinges, hardware, and laser graphics for tricorder pad" but does anyone have any idea what they mean by "hardware"? is it the electronics inside, or something else?

anyways this is a good kit, cant wait for it to get here, luckily a live in the UK and thats where the company is based so i have to wait around 5 working days and if interested i will post pics of how the progress goes :D

Offline CyAn1d3

• MacDill Shipyards Design Team
  • Cookies: 420
  • RETIRED
Re: Something ive ordered from Frontier Models, BUUUUT.....
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 08:36:45 PM »
usually "hardware" means tools, screws, hinges, things of that sort
I came, i saw, i added a Sig.
Later gents, i have Youtube to take over.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline flarespire

• God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 08:57:56 PM »
still you can never be sure when they use a vague word like hardware, anyways ill post pics once if got it.

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 65535
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 10:00:12 PM »
Ahhhh....the Mark X Tricorder...I'm in the process of scratchbuilding it :D
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline flarespire

• God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 10:11:15 PM »
Good luck with that, i really cant wait to get mine, ive always wanted one. :D

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 07:03:02 PM »
Good luck with that, i really cant wait to get mine, ive always wanted one. :D

Oh it's a breeze, I have a manual that shows me how to do it LOL :D  I'm even thinking about casting it in clear resin (it'll be hollow) to allow Electronics!
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline Trim

• BCN/BCU Veteran
  • Cookies: 74
  • Moderator of redundancy Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 05:49:36 PM »
Yeah, I'd buy one of those.  Well done.   :thumbsup:

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 10:18:49 PM »
Yeah, I'd buy one of those.  Well done.   :thumbsup:

Hehe, I actually wouldn't...but mainly because I know where I can get an actual vacu-formed kit like the used on the originals!!!

Offline flarespire

• God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 07:30:10 PM »
stupid things been delayed in customs because a new kit had to be sent here from th US, to the company which sells em, and then to me....getting frustrated now  :banghead:

Offline flarespire

• God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 05:25:54 PM »
well its finally out of customs...now another month+ wait for it to get here, stupid postal service being disorganised in my hometown.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 08:04:56 PM »
well its finally out of customs...now another month+ wait for it to get here, stupid postal service being disorganised in my hometown.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Ok, when you get it I just want to let you know it's not in the slightest silver....it's a medium metallic grey.  The originals were painted using a GM Auto touchup paint Plastikote 7173 to be exact.

You'd have to either find it, or have someone mix it for you (An Auto Paint store)...which will be expensive as hell.  The code that the Auto paint was for was a GM 15 (there was something else on there I can't remember though).  YOu're best bet would be to find Medium Marblehead Metallic and use that!

(thought I'd let you know I didn't know whether you knew that or not)

Offline flarespire

• God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 12:18:53 PM »
i was just gonna by some paint for the warhammer40k models for this, boltgun metal seems to look right on it. And it still hasnt arrived, it was supposed to be here this week.

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 02:20:52 PM »
Show us pics whenever you do get it and finish it :)

Offline flarespire

• God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 02:56:16 PM »
ill be sure too, ill post a pic of the unmade product and then pics of it finished. hows that sound?

Offline CyAn1d3

• MacDill Shipyards Design Team
  • Cookies: 420
  • RETIRED
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 08:35:15 PM »
ill be sure too, ill post a pic of the unmade product and then pics of it finished. hows that sound?

spiffy  :dance
I came, i saw, i added a Sig.
Later gents, i have Youtube to take over.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 12:26:51 AM »
Hey flaire, some of my prop buddies have warned me about Frontier Models....they're generally recasts...And the shipping generally is rediculous...I really hope you get/got yours.

Offline flarespire

• God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 11:45:55 AM »
yeah the shipping is ridiculous, i live around 3 hours away and its 5 week late!

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 33
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2011, 10:16:41 PM »
You should post a thread in the art forum chronicling your build up when it finally arrives.
"The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars." - Carl Sagan

Klingon Academy now works on XP/Vista/Win 7 thanks to one dude's patches, click here for details. I highly recommend it!

Offline flarespire

• God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2011, 07:39:56 AM »
i might, bren, but it IS to get to that "F***ING HELL HURRY UP AND GET HERE!" phase.

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2011, 11:32:17 AM »
i might, bren, but it IS to get to that "F***ING HELL HURRY UP AND GET HERE!" phase.

Has it been 45 days yet???  I'd file a complaint with Paypal (or your credit card company) ASAP...