Author Topic: TREK XI - Images, Footage, Trailers, Enterprise, Discussion, etc. Thread (WARNING: SPOILERS)  (Read 102693 times)

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
George Lucas liked it   :)

Well, if anything supports the positions of us who didn't like the thing, then this is it :D
Plus Lucas said he'd never do a Star Trek.

Thank god. I'd be scared if he did. :P And I always think its nice to have little easter eggs from other shows (even if completely unrelated to said show/film/movie/series/whatever).
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline CJLarkin

• Cookies: 27
You know what I like most about all this? If you look at the Poll up top, nobody has selected "I won't bother even going to see it at all.". Regardless of what people thought of the movie, people still were open-minded enough to go and see it, try it out for themselves. That's one thing that's really pleased me this past month, most people were willing to go and see the film anyway, even if they weren't expecting it to be all that great. Hats off to you all.
Build a game and people will be happy for a few years. Build a community... Well, look at BC. :D
Here's to another 20 years!

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
You know what I like most about all this? If you look at the Poll up top, nobody has selected "I won't bother even going to see it at all.". Regardless of what people thought of the movie, people still were open-minded enough to go and see it, try it out for themselves. That's one thing that's really pleased me this past month, most people were willing to go and see the film anyway, even if they weren't expecting it to be all that great. Hats off to you all.
heh i was the biggest dubious person beforehand :P
but i would be a hypocrite to be all judgmental without at least trying it...  altho i still wound up voting option 3...

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
  • Cookies: 96
  • The proud result of slave labor
    • blaXXer.design
George Lucas liked it   :)

Well, if anything supports the positions of us who didn't like the thing, then this is it :D

Oh, George Lucas had the potential to become a great director, just see THX 1138 or American Graffiti, thing is, he likes to play with his toys more and isn't very good at dialogue (cf. EP 1-3), but still, this man is a pro, no matter what.

YOU suck, get a life, moran.

COME TO MY PLACE clicketh me!

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
Oh, George Lucas had the potential to become a great director, just see THX 1138 or American Graffiti, thing is, he likes to play with his toys more and isn't very good at dialogue (cf. EP 1-3), but still, this man is a pro, no matter what.

The operative word there is "had".  I'm just glad that with all the Star Wars-y touches that they brought to the new movie(hyperdrive-ish warp drive & turbolaser-like phasers) that they didn't give us a Jar Jar.  Keenser had the potential, but thankfully he was funny, but in a silent way.

And it's not like this is the first time we've gotten a Star Wars reference in Trek, or need I bring up the Millennium Falcon in First Contact? :P

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Dante Leonhart

• Executive Producer Bridge Commander Series
  • Cookies: 22
    • Leonhart Studios
I just read this today and it seriously fking bugs me.

oby: Don?t the Nokia and Budweiser product placements contradict the post-capitalist Trek Federation envisioned by Gene Roddenberry?

BobOrci: Not if those companies have been nationalized!

This is a great point that just went over my head. Now, I hate movie marketing in general and want to vomit any time I see things like product placement in movies. iRobot is the WORST movie of late that I can think of that just has product after product placed in it soley for advertisement and not for story.

I distinctly remember making a mental note to be disgusted at the fact that I saw Nokia and Budweiser and even more upset at how Apple had been 'nationalized.'

But now that the writers have justified skewing The Great Bird's vision with the excuse that the companies were 'nationalized' I feel even sicker. Really? Nationalized? On the planet that is the center of the Federation we have 'nationalized' products?

I wonder how Gene would react to seeing product placement in his movies.

Offline Shadowknight1

• Star Trek Into Darkness
The whole "We don't have money anymore" thing didn't appear until ST4 and TNG.  Up until then, the Federation had a unified credits system.  I really don't see the problem here.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
Actually, I think when Picard said they didn't have money, they were referring to the fact that they aren't paid, they just get benefits such as room, board, food, a fun job, and etc.

They still trade though, latinum as evidence.

Offline Ryles

• Cookies: 0
The Budweiser plug wasn't that bad. They were in a bar, it was used as part of normal dialogue for the location. The obnoxious NOKIA annoying loud and distinctive ring tone and the entire phone interface though, that bugged the hell out of me.

Just be happy the placements didn't continue further into the movie.

Offline Darran

• Cookies: 19
yeah i mean intel had that whole tie in website, they could have booted the enterprises systems first time round and the viewscreen would have displayed "intel inside"

Offline Villain

• The artist formerly known as Prime
What's the big deal? Seriously? Just makes it more believable. Kirks carphone was a real brand. More believable then whatever dumb name the writers would've came up with, and it fit the setting on Earth perfectly. Seems everyone else has made my point pretty well before me, but again, I really don't get the Apple references...

As was said: Apple didn't invent the minimalistic style alot of sci-fi has used.

"The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago."

Quote from: JimmyB76
der-ner-ner-ner-ner ..... der-ner-ner-ner-ner .....
---
Quote from: Rick Sternbach, on the topic of the Galor Class' length
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

Offline JimmyB76

i think the blatantly obvious product placements were lame; dont belong in a Trek film, added to the dumbed down generic feel of it all...  i practically had to laugh aloud when i saw them...
good to think Budweiser and Nokia will be around in 200 more years lol (or however the hell many years in the future this takes place)...

The Budweiser plug wasn't that bad. They were in a bar, it was used as part of normal dialogue for the location. The obnoxious NOKIA annoying loud and distinctive ring tone and the entire phone interface though, that bugged the hell out of me.
the Budweiser plug was too obvious IMO - they likely wrote the whole bar scene around that placement lol

Just be happy the placements didn't continue further into the movie.
this much is true...

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Cookies: 151
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
Can't we just take comfort from the fact that in 250 years time we'll still be able to watch the game and have a Bud?  :lol:

Offline JimmyB76

Offline JimmyB76

*last few posts cleared*
ok i guess i have to remind everyone of this, and this will not be said again...

im getting sick and tired of seeing people snap and bitch at each other just because they share different views on this movie or anything about it...  anyone is entitled to post how they feel - anyone about anything!  

if you dont like hearing someone speak objectionably about this movie, then deal with it and get over it because you did not make this movie so stop taking things personally...  if you dont like hearing someone praise and adore this movie, then too bad because this is the new-Trek so deal with it or dont be a new-Trek fan thats your choice...  either way, stop attacking and jumping at each other for having different views...

this is a general warning to everyone: i will not stand anymore for anyone getting any backlash or flack, or being jumped on for posting what they feel and their opinions...  i dont care if you absolutely love this movie and concept, or vehemently hate it all...  stop arguing and bitching at each other please!  debate all you want about the movie or whatever, but stop directing negativity to anyone else...

if you cannot keep your emotions under control, and cannot refrain yourself from jumping at someone else because you dont like what they have to say, then do not post...  that is not a request...
if i see anyone taking stupid petty shit personally, and get all defensive and snappy at someone else because they dont like what the other is saying about the movie (whether it be praise or objection), there will be bans issued without warnings...

so please keep yourselves under control, please maintain maturity and respect to each other, and please stop taking things so personally...

any further crap and negativity will result in this entire thread being locked down and archived, and another one will not be allowed in the future ok?  so please people chill out and keep respectful, please dont take it to the point where a ban is issued...

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
Question: Although, undoubtedly, the Budweiser reference was product placement, wouldn't Budweiser be considered more of a flavour than a brand in the future? Correct me if I'm wrong, but not all beers taste the same. So if one asked for a beer from a replicator, on could surmise that it would have most (if not all) past "recipes" for beer. Just because people prefer one taste over another in the present doesn't mean they won't in the future.

Offline JimmyB76

how many beers from the late 1700s, early 1800s are still available to order at a bar in this day and age? lol :P

Offline William T. Riker

• Cookies: 9
Wow, 78 pages already. :shock:

Yeah, the product placements are too obvious.

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
how many beers from the late 1700s, early 1800s are still available to order at a bar in this day and age? lol :P
You tell me, I can't drink yet. :P

Edit:
Cool Trek XI Trailer: TOS-ified

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
This one is better. :lol: