Author Topic: Star Trek Online thread  (Read 167683 times)

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
Re: Star Trek Online thread
« Reply #2520 on: September 15, 2011, 10:37:14 PM »
Tribble Test Server is being completely wiped this monday (including characters and foundry missions) while they "prepare the server for use in the beta of an upcoming major game update"
F2P beta anyone?

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=3757459#post3757459

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #2521 on: September 16, 2011, 09:23:14 PM »
Ok so there are 2 test servers now.

"Redshirt" is what tribble used to be. (aka where everything goes before 'live'
"Tribble" Is the Beta Server.

You need another 10gb of space to use Redshirt, but it doesn't download that, it copies it over from your existing files.

You know, unless I just got super magical internet that can download 10gigs in 2 minutes.

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #2522 on: September 16, 2011, 09:43:43 PM »
so, when exactly is the game going to F2P?

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline CyAn1d3

• MacDill Shipyards Design Team
  • Cookies: 420
  • RETIRED
« Reply #2523 on: September 16, 2011, 10:18:35 PM »

:idk:  :whenitsdone
I came, i saw, i added a Sig.
Later gents, i have Youtube to take over.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #2524 on: September 16, 2011, 10:46:27 PM »

"By the end of the year"

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #2525 on: September 17, 2011, 12:13:08 AM »
End of the year.  Good thing I don't play religiously, or I'd end up going through withdrawals since I'm going to have to drop my subscription for now. :(

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #2526 on: September 20, 2011, 11:31:42 PM »
Well, this sucks :/

http://startrekonline.com/node/2619

I'll miss him.

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Cookies: 5
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #2527 on: September 21, 2011, 09:59:56 AM »
I'll miss him too; STOked won't be the same without the "Daniel Stahl: Said Stuff" segment  :(
Did you know I'm on Twitter?

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #2528 on: September 21, 2011, 01:14:13 PM »
Yeaaaah, this ship is sunk, quite frankly. It's whether or not we manage to swim to the surface before it goes to the bottom of the Mariana Trench, that's the question. CP stipend be damned, I don't see any reason to continue paying for this when it goes F2P.
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #2529 on: September 21, 2011, 01:25:26 PM »
Yeaaaah, this ship is sunk, quite frankly. It's whether or not we manage to swim to the surface before it goes to the bottom of the Mariana Trench, that's the question. CP stipend be damned, I don't see any reason to continue paying for this when it goes F2P.

I don't think STO is done for.  Heck I was planning on continuing my subscription until I was informed that I was being laid off at the end of this week. :(  Come on F2P!!!

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #2530 on: September 21, 2011, 04:44:54 PM »
Dan posted on the forums

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=3766591&postcount=266

Hes leaving now because he knows STO is in good hands, I believe that is a good sign.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #2531 on: September 21, 2011, 05:05:19 PM »
I've had my subscription running since June (around the time of S4 testing for Tribble). I reactivated my account at the time, primarily in the hopes of testing the new Duty Officer (DOff) system. But after recent announcements that the planned updates for "September 22nd" are being pushed into "Free-to-play launch", I have doubts as to when the new UI/content actually will be added. So as a result, I've cancelled my subscription effective immediately.

If I return to STO at all, it will be as a "Silver" (i.e Free) player. No more money from me to Cryptic, after recent let-downs.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #2532 on: September 22, 2011, 01:27:06 AM »
don't be such a doom sayer.  I don't think the most recent push-backs are that bad.  They've been under pressure until recently because of the sale to PW.  And the delay allows them to better integrate the DOFF system with the new FEs.  They are Human beings, you can't expect them to push out amazing new content constantly.  Besides, that stuff will all be going to tribble soon anyway, once the F2P beta launches next month.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #2533 on: September 22, 2011, 04:16:40 AM »
don't be such a doom sayer.  I don't think the most recent push-backs are that bad.  They've been under pressure until recently because of the sale to PW.  And the delay allows them to better integrate the DOFF system with the new FEs.  They are Human beings, you can't expect them to push out amazing new content constantly.  Besides, that stuff will all be going to tribble soon anyway, once the F2P beta launches next month.

There has been NO new mission content in 7 months. How much longer do they expect their paying subscribers to wait? All along, the subscribers are funding the F2P-conversion coming later this year. Until then, more and more content is being postponed, since they want to release F2P with a bunch of new stuff (to attract new players).

The decision to make the switch to free to play, was well before the buyout by Perfect World. While Atari still owned Cryptic, plans were being made to change the game to a free to play system, despite public claims to the contrary. The only reason we found out about the F2P change, is because one of the Perfect World "suits" leaked said information. One wonders how much longer we would've been kept in the dark, if it hadn't been leaked.

You may call me a doomsayer, but i'm just telling it as it is. There has been NO new content in 7 months. In that same timeframe, an MMO like "RIFT" has managed to release FOUR major updates, with a FIFTH coming soon. I'm not stupid, I realize that delays are inevitable in the gaming industry, and to err is human. 1 delay I can accept, 2 delays I can accept... but multiple delays repeatedly after one and other, is becoming a pattern, and a tradition. And I will not accept that.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Cookies: 5
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #2534 on: September 22, 2011, 11:46:11 AM »
In that same timeframe, an MMO like "RIFT" has managed to release FOUR major updates, with a FIFTH coming soon.

From what I hear RIFT has a much larger development team, and is working on multiple 'major' updates at once.

Cryptic has updated STO numerous times in the last 7 months, not with content, but bug fixes, tweaks and such. Why release new content when people get so annoyed with game-breaking bugs and features that they quit before they play the new content?

You can't get at Cryptic for this without knowing all the facts, I'm not saying I do; but for all we kow there could have been much more trouble recently than Cryptic, Atari or Perfect World have said.
Did you know I'm on Twitter?

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #2535 on: September 22, 2011, 01:37:12 PM »
during that seven months they were dealing with the sale, that meant paperwork, NDAs and a hiring freeze, plus they were trying to push out the S4 update, which despite lacking new story missions, and the DOFF system, was still a huge undertaking.  And they've still got a lot of work ahead with the F2P conversion, they can't just flip a switch.  From what I've been reading, the new FE and the DOFF system will heavily use both the new currency and F2P features, so they have to test them all together to make sure it all works.

It's not all rainbows and lollypops in the cryptic office, and they don't have a magical coding machine, these things take time, do you really think they've been sitting around on their fat asses the last 7 months?

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #2536 on: September 22, 2011, 02:03:13 PM »
Cryptic has updated STO numerous times in the last 7 months, not with content, but bug fixes, tweaks and such. Why release new content when people get so annoyed with game-breaking bugs and features that they quit before they play the new content?

You can't get at Cryptic for this without knowing all the facts, I'm not saying I do; but for all we kow there could have been much more trouble recently than Cryptic, Atari or Perfect World have said.

In most other MMO:s, you have a group of people, let's call them the "Content Team". And in another group of people, let's call them the "Coding Team". Generally, the Coding Team takes care of coding new features, as well as fixing the features that may or may not be broken. Simultaneously, the Content Team takes care of adding new playable content, in STOs case, in the form of new episodes, new STFs, new PVP maps, new story-arcs and new daily missions.

What seems to me, is that Cryptic has recombined these otherwise separate entities into a single group of people, with everyone focusing on "one or the other". If the entire team is focused on bug fixing or adding new features, who's making new playable content? Nobody. Most of the playerbase cares more about playable content more than anything else. They may also be the "vocal minority", but my 15 dollars per month is worth just as much as anyone else's 15 dollars per month. I should be equally entitled to new content for my 15 dollars, as people who expect new features for 15 dollars, am I right?

As I said in my previous post, the decision to make the switch to free-to-play was made long before the buyout was in progress. Meanwhile, behind the scenes, Cryptic developers make public comments that "Great things are coming, just hold out a bit longer, yaddah yaddah yaddah". How long do they expect to make their subscribers who want new content, to wait? Due to this "content drought", I've made the decision to make a stand using my wallet, cancelling my subscription. Not a single dollar will go to Cryptic again, until they fix the issue of "lack of content".
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #2537 on: September 22, 2011, 02:33:05 PM »
well, now you're just Trolling.  Cryptic's STO team is tiny, according to Stahl it's smaller than the crew at the local Starbucks.  And a lot of the content they are working on has blurred the lines between the coding and content teams because of all the new features they've been trying to incorporate.  These things take time, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #2538 on: September 22, 2011, 04:32:34 PM »
well, now you're just Trolling.  Cryptic's STO team is tiny, according to Stahl it's smaller than the crew at the local Starbucks.  And a lot of the content they are working on has blurred the lines between the coding and content teams because of all the new features they've been trying to incorporate.  These things take time, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Well excuse me for having been a participant in funding their F2P venture, and getting nothing in return in the process. 7 frickin months with no new content is shameful, for any game, regardless of the size of the team.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #2539 on: September 22, 2011, 06:01:21 PM »
what makes you an expert on MMO development?
You paid for a subscription to access the game, and that's what you got, they didn't take down the server for the last seven months, and there's been plenty to do in the game during that time.