Author Topic: MarkyD: "one of the most heavily armed warships in the Quadrant,"  (Read 26755 times)

Offline MarkyD

• Cookies: 627
  • "A mesh comes together!"
Re: The Constitution 15/04
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 04:36:08 PM »
ok thats 2641 Polys,

In canon terms, the Excelsior was the closest thing to it. In SFC terms, its a heavy cruiser with the Battleship being some sort of "thing" covered in phasers and warp nacelles.

Ok so Im assuming that what DT said was accurate, a TNG Connie, would be on par with the Intrepid Class, but that being the case what role would it fill  :? ??

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2009, 04:42:44 PM »
Well, if you want a better idea of TNG Connies, check out these:

http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/Shaandra_Pack;56217

The more accurate one is the one with more modern warp nacelles. It's armed with TNG phaser, photons and quantums.

If you are veering off the weaponry track, I'd imagine its for exploring.
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline MarkyD

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2009, 05:04:13 PM »
Thanks, that looks like an alternative ambassador other than a tng connie mind, the design for this will incorporate no features of ships avail..   ie, the same saucer etc, but will try to still keep a connie look in a TNG era...  should prove to be interesting..

Offline Dawg81

• Cookies: 29
  • I am Dawg; Resistence is futile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2009, 06:28:49 PM »
we do know is that the connies were still in service during the battle of wolf 359 so if it was refitted it may have been later than that like just before the outbreak of the Dom war

Offline MarkyD

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2009, 07:30:45 PM »
we do know is that the connies were still in service during the battle of wolf 359 so if it was refitted it may have been later than that like just before the outbreak of the Dom war

Ok, so thats good to know, but I was thinking of a TNG Rebuild not a refit, so a completely new ship.. in the TNG era .. but its still gotta be a connie  :arms:   not easy, but i reckon we can do this, with enough input  8)

Offline Dawg81

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2009, 09:06:23 PM »
agreed must have connie characteristics to her. ok what do u guys think should we keep the overall warp engine design with more modern nacelle grilles and a bussard ramscoop perhaps along these lines but instead of tmp nacelle grilles we use the galaxy grilles.
Thoughts and comments on this idea

Offline Johnnymuffintop

• Concept Artist
  • Cookies: 7
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2009, 09:29:08 PM »
A total rebuild? I like the idea. I've seen it done before:
http://davemetlesits.deviantart.com/art/Call-of-body-call-of-soul-85566510
But I never really cared for that version, it need a more classic look.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2009, 09:52:53 PM »
The nacelle lowest down in the pic that 9thDawg posted looks the most promising. Still keeps the general style of the TMP nacelle, while obviously updating it for TNG-era appearance.

Maintaining the same general layout of the TMP connie, it's weapons compliment should end up around:

2 saucer phasers (dorsal and ventral)
1 belly phaser (under stardrive)

(and for TNG-era which tends to have additional phasers to cover all angles)

2 aft dorsal phasers (small ones on top, at back end of saucer)
2-4 pylon phasers (dorsal and/or ventral)

I would suggest a "round" forward torpedo tube in the neck of the ship, rather than the blocky dual torpedo tubes of the TMP version. Looks more modern, and we've seen several ships which can fire multiple torpedoes from a single tube (such as the Galaxy Class). Perhaps 1 forward tube, and 2 aft tubes (embedded into the hull underneath the stardrive).

Total weapons count:
7-9 phasers (depending on amount on pylons)
3 torpedo tubes

Additionally, both the saucer phasers can be split up into 3 phasers each (Ambassador-style), with 1 section facing forward, 1 facing left and 1 facing right. All and all, they would be as effective as a single "ring phaser", but will probably look better.

The Intrepid Class has 11 phasers and 4 torpedo tubes. So while both ships may be in the "Cruiser" section, the Intrepid would still be more heavily armed. Giving the TNG Connie a bit of an edge in maneuvrability and top speed would be an idea, and have shields on a similar level to the Intrepid.
Official BCC Discord ยท https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline FourChan

• Admiral Noel Vermillion
  • Cookies: 4
  • Starfleet Technologies Development Center
    • Twitter Four Channel
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2009, 10:29:50 PM »
I would add small ambassador phaser strips. Also I would add two ports in the front giving the ship a slight kinda pulse phaser, slightly stronger than the other ones.

Offline MarkyD

Re: The Constitution 24/04
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2009, 03:50:51 PM »
Hurahh, it uploaded,

anyway, getting the connie 100% accurate to the studio model is proving to be time consuming imbetween my pre deployment training for another tour of afghan in oct,

anyway, she is coming along slowly, thought i should post so you knew i was still working on her  8)

Offline Dawg81

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2009, 09:29:12 PM »
looking very good Marky

Offline CyAn1d3

• MacDill Shipyards Design Team
  • Cookies: 420
  • RETIRED
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2009, 12:16:56 AM »
 :shock: she looks gorgeous so far! cant wait to see how this turns out
I came, i saw, i added a Sig.
Later gents, i have Youtube to take over.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline MarkyD

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2009, 10:49:32 AM »
Thanks fellas,

Did not realise until today that the connie has docking ports on one side only lol  :)

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
Re: The Constitution 25/04
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2009, 11:15:00 AM »
Do you mean the airlocks on the secondary hull or the bigger port on the portside of the saucer?

Looks great BTW. :D

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 65535
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2009, 11:46:38 AM »
Do you mean the airlocks on the secondary hull or the bigger port on the portside of the saucer?

Looks great BTW. :D

I hope he meant the saucer lol

Looks great so far Mark!
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline MarkyD

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2009, 11:48:04 AM »
Lol

I mean the ones on the bottom of the neck structure.

And thanks  :)

Offline CyAn1d3

• MacDill Shipyards Design Team
  • Cookies: 420
  • RETIRED
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2009, 12:24:24 PM »
really?  i thought there was one on either side of the torp bay. and not just one?
I came, i saw, i added a Sig.
Later gents, i have Youtube to take over.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Cookies: 151
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2009, 12:41:01 PM »
Yeah, there should be four on the secondary hull, two port and two starboard.

There are only two visable on the saucer section. One behind the bridge then the other is a large square hatch on the port side of the saucer section.

There isn't one on the opposite side for some reason on the Connie but there is on the Miranda. You can see the Enterprise connected to the drydock via the port saucer hatch in the Motion Picture.

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 65535
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2009, 05:35:14 PM »
took the words outta my mouth :P

Forgot to shoot a cookie your way...and I'm glad this is comin along so well :)
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline rengers

• Cookies: 306
  • ship modeler
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2009, 07:26:17 PM »
she shaping up very nice mate 8) cookie!
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)