Author Topic: the new ghostbusters video game  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Starforce2

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 882
    • Facebook
the new ghostbusters video game
« on: June 30, 2009, 05:26:31 PM »
I've been hearing rumors of a demo but found nothing on a couple game sites that I've checked...does anyon eknow if there will be a demo?

On the otherhand, has anyone got either the PC or Wii version? Is it as good/fun as one would expect?
I just realised something. I've released over 300 fully modded ships for bridge commander. Bow to your master :D
Read my mod blog!
http://bcs-tng.com/forums/index.php?action=viewblog;u=1129

Offline newman

• Cookies: 33
  • Hello, Jerry.
Re: the new ghostbusters video game
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 06:31:03 PM »
I've tried it out and got bored super-fast. On the surface it seems brilliant, but gameplay is just.. meh. It had all the elements of an epic game, but it just didn't happen. At least, not for me.

Offline Ryles

• Cookies: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 07:14:56 PM »
I played through the entire game, for the PC, on the 'normal' difficulty mode. First off, it gets big points for having the actors from the movies providing the voices for the characters. The animations for which are pretty spot on for how the actors actually... acted.

There are tons of little nods to the original movies and some times the story goes a little too far out of its way to make connections. The vast majority of the plot takes place at locations from the original movies... which sort of robs the story of a little originality of its own... But, hey, this is a game based on two movies and using the locations makes sense. (If the game had been designed to exactly follow the story line of one of the movies, then I'd have nothing to say, and given the quality of the voice acting, the character models, and the set designs... I think they could have pulled that off easily) The additions to the story line seem pretty well thought out, and the level design is pretty awesome.

The levels all incorporate elements which are destructible.  Paintings on walls, statues, pillars, cars. A wide variety of things. If you hit them, the game calculates how much property damage you've caused. Fortunately, the city has you covered... so, it doesn't deduct for your pay for completing missions, and you can use your profits to upgrade your equipment. I had NO trouble acquiring enough cash to buy every upgrade, even the ones I didn't want.

The various ghosts you fight are pretty impressive, too. Some of the "boss" fights can be a little annoying (as in tedious, running back and forth down the same few hallways chasing a ghost), and I DID have to consult the internet once to find a solution to a problem in order to progress. In this case, I had eliminated all of the Ghosts TOO FAST, and the game's script couldn't progress as it was supposed to. So, there are some bugs and potential flaws in the level design.

Some minor, nifty, features of note involve the player's PDA. You can "scan" ghosts and it will display a detailed back story on what they are, who they were, and what weaknesses they may have. It's nice for filling in details of the plot of the movies which were never explained. There's also "artifacts" that can be scanned/collected. These also get a back story, and they'll show up around the firehouse between missions. I'm pretty sure the xbox/ps3 version has achievements associated with the ghosts and artifacts, also.

The "weapons" are interesting as well, and while there are only a few available, they're all.. well... awesome, and the 3-4 Ghost Buster's working with you are fairly effective with them most of the time, and when they aren't, they'll at least give you a hint as to which Proton Pack mode is most effective for what you're fighting. The life system is like a simplified version of Left4Dead, you can be incapacitated, but your buddies can help you up... so you're good as long as some one is still standing. This makes the game very forgiving if it takes you a while to master the art of the trap.

I was, however, unable to cross the streams...

I'd give it a 4 out of 5. The only thing which could improve this would be DLC expansions and multiplayer co-op.

Offline Villain

• Cookies: 71
  • The artist formerly known as Prime
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 06:53:55 AM »
Aside from the terrible reaction time and handling on the mouse (PC version) the game was alright. Nothing to write home about but a great time waster. Just don't expect to be able to utilize all those years of practicing on Unreal 2004 though, as the PC version holds on to the easy-use aiming that makes console FPS's enjoyable, which doesn't translate all too well.

"The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago."

Quote from: JimmyB76
der-ner-ner-ner-ner ..... der-ner-ner-ner-ner .....
---
Quote from: Rick Sternbach, on the topic of the Galor Class' length
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

Offline Dawg81

• Cookies: 29
  • I am Dawg; Resistence is futile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 04:12:12 PM »
i got it for my PS3 and wow its frackin amazing the storyline is true to ghostbusters form. I cant get past the gate with the 3 heads i know i need to slime tether the churbs to each of those 3 glowing heads on that particular gate but i get hurt real fast  cause there so many of them flying around shooting at ya any tips?

Offline Barihawk

• Ninth Fleet STO Commanding Officer
  • Cookies: 225
  • BC: The Aftermath Member
    • My Released Work
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 10:50:17 PM »
Shoot faster is all I can say. That was one of the most difficult and frustrating parts of the game for me. Number two was the librarian...geez.

The game was fairly good, but does not warrant a second playthrough. I did get it half price on STEAM so I don't consider it a total loss.

Offline Starforce2

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 882
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 05:33:28 PM »
well, If I am going to do well in an fps it eneds to have easy aiming because I ougtright suck at them, usualy due to the complciated controls of console systems like playstation. (hence why most of my games involve pokemon and mario) but it sounds like it might atleast be worth getting after the price drops.

Anyone see or read any gamming news about a demo release? I've heard conflicting data on this, some say no demo others say there will be one.
I just realised something. I've released over 300 fully modded ships for bridge commander. Bow to your master :D
Read my mod blog!
http://bcs-tng.com/forums/index.php?action=viewblog;u=1129

Offline Libussa

• Cookies: 4
  • "Desire is irrelevant. I am a machine!" - T-850 T3
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 05:59:23 PM »
To my knowledge there is no demo. I have the PS2 version (which is  graphically the same as the Wii version, and graphically different from the 360/PS3/PC version) VERY cartoonish, probably explains why it was only $20 USD. I will be buying a 360 and play the 360 version, waaaaaaaaaay too many bugs on the pc version reported, as well as lack of support for the pc version as well. The story is the same on all platforms, and imho a fairly good story. Easy mode is a bit too easy tho. Someone recorded themselves playing the 360 version all the way from start to finish and put the parts (2-56) up on youtube.

(Here's Part 2) :

Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eIxC34pXDo
John Connor: Do you even remember me? Sarah Connor? Blowing up Cyberdyne? Hasta la vista, baby? Ring any bells?
Terminator: That was a different T-101.
John Connor: What, do you guys come off an assembly line or something?
Terminator: Exactly.
John Connor: Oh man, I'm gonna have to teach you everything all over again!