Author Topic: New mod WIPs - planet sets, station bridges  (Read 3661 times)

Offline Lurok91

• Cookies: 2062
  • SPMod Developer (Retired)
    • Lurok91 Mods
New mod WIPs - planet sets, station bridges
« on: January 14, 2011, 10:41:51 AM »
well maybe not so radical and doomed to failure, but having brainwaves and wanted to bounce ideas off people  :)

PLANET BRIDGE
Number of people said be nice to transport to planet. Obviously can't do much once where, but could be used for emergency transport on core breach, or perhaps as part of a mission to recover an item.

Obviously you'd need to script planets to have 'bridges' - can't believe not feasible?   But the 'planet surface' itself easy enough as just a TOS/For Earth Is Hollow-style giant bridge, with choice to have crew on or off set.   Here figure is to MediumCrew scale at 0,0,0 coordinates.

Could also adapt as QB or mission idea for, say,  any ship section (engineering, shuttle bay, etc)  on a specific-modded ship so instead of transporting to bridge you transport to the relevant section.

STATION BRIDGE
Know a few people have asked about DS9 Ops which is certainly feasible though complex.  But in meantime always liked Kirk's renders of his spacestation bridge and thought something like this would be fairly easy to do and incorporate as generic station bridge.  

SP MODDED
I know single player modding has been challenge for many but still seems interest in it.   Having modded mine with EF2 Crew, replacing all ships, stations and textures, changing hardpoints and adding NanoFX gfx and sounds,  it seems  at present these two factors below are key drawbacks with SP  (if anyone can confirm or deny, please do)

Doesn't work properly with any added mods or mutators
other than basic Foundation, BPCore

Can't use bridges other than D and E Bridges without issues
have got GalRefit and SovAdvanced bridges to work ingame.  Were animation/position issues but fixed.  In theory,  could adapt SP to work with any bridge.  Might need some new anims but that would be all.

Here's couple of pics of modded SP just to show potential of better models and textures:

Offline leemason

• Cookies: 0
Re: Some new modding ideas...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 11:03:16 AM »
I love the idea of beaming down to another planet. Also I was playing around with my install and because you released all the shuttles bridges changed the scripts so that when you lauched a shuttle you went to that particular bridge. So to my point I wonder if using something simliar to shuttle lauch script, but instead of lauching a shuttle in the drop down menu you pick a different part of the ship your in like the shuttle bay or engineering, like you said Lurko just ideas boucing round my head.

Offline Mario

• Senior Software Developer
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1706
  • Life is life
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 11:09:24 AM »
Planet bridge... oh man this brings back memories...

Former BCS-TNG Lost_Jedi aka LJ (one of lead Excalibur developers now) worked on a project called WalkFX Immersion (now obviously cancelled due to Excalibur). But it did use the same concept.

For example life support I've developed for Xtended I envisioned to one day be incorporated into WalkFX Immersion and for The Armada Project (also on hold\cancelled). Since both projects did depend on the crew management.

I did some additional experiments to merge different areas into one, this is not a background but different effects I was working on, though never completed and dumped.

http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/5517/screenshot000gv5.jpg
http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/9193/47408470mf5.jpg
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/7910/19764753rr5.jpg

But nobody get your hopes up lol Just wanted to present what all was\is possible.
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 11:16:21 AM »
Love the screenshots, Sov  :thumbsup:   I remember seeing a video for Immersion and wondered what had happened to it.  Assumed it just became standard WalkFX. 

For example life support I've developed for Xtended I envisioned to one day be incorporated into WalkFX Immersion and for The Armada Project (also on hold\cancelled). Since both projects did depend on the crew management.

I was going to post a link to this at BCS as I hoped might have some merit for Xtended as well  :)

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 33
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 11:28:24 PM »
That guy in the video wearing the Klingon costume is me, can't believe LJ shot me! :P

I still have that testing build on my system, gathering dust. Such a pity it never came to fruition, it was an awesome mod! At least we have Excalibur to look forward to instead :D

Those are some great ideas, Lurok! The planet bridge screenshot is particularly impressive.

Would it be difficult to animate a shuttle landing cutscene when the bridge first loads? Or is that just guilding the lilly?
"The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars." - Carl Sagan

Klingon Academy now works on XP/Vista/Win 7 thanks to one dude's patches, click here for details. I highly recommend it!

Offline Villain

• Cookies: 71
  • The artist formerly known as Prime
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 07:16:54 AM »
I remember Immersion! I remember being absolutely giddy when I had heard of it. Still gives me tingles to think of what had been accomplished!

As for your ideas, Lurok, that set does look a hell of a lot like a TOS style set (The colours are just perfect). I don't know anything really about the other side of BC, but I could swear there was at least one star system that was made that had little targettable bits on the planet... Chances are I'm probably wrong and that was infact Freelancer but still... Am I wrong in thinking that there was a project that made planets into fake ships so it give them special effects? I'm almost certain that's what I recall being done to them...  :idk:

As for the shuttle landing thing... Is it even possible to use a shuttle as say, Saffi, on that one bridge set? Would that affect all sets? If not, would it not then just be a matter of adding an animation to that character on that set? (I'm more than likely way, way off base as this is way over my head, just "thinking aloud").

As always mate, if there is anything I can do to assist you, you know I'm always open to it!

I'm sure there are still many things possible but maybe not entirely viable, given complexity and time-consumption and all. But hey, keep up the amazing work! (And I love the idea of a starbase-y set!)

Bren: You totally deserved it, that outfit doesn't suit you at all.  :funny

"The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago."

Quote from: JimmyB76
der-ner-ner-ner-ner ..... der-ner-ner-ner-ner .....
---
Quote from: Rick Sternbach, on the topic of the Galor Class' length
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 02:15:45 PM »
thanks for feedback, guys

Would it be difficult to animate a shuttle landing cutscene when the bridge first loads? Or is that just guilding the lilly?

Don't think impossible but could be tricky... :idk:

As for the shuttle landing thing... Is it even possible to use a shuttle as say, Saffi, on that one bridge set? Would that affect all sets? If not, would it not then just be a matter of adding an animation to that character on that set? (I'm more than likely way, way off base as this is way over my head, just "thinking aloud").

Hmmm - not quite sure what after here  :facepalm:   Do you mean give a shuttle Saffi's XO commands? 

Offline Nx-809

• Cookies: 25
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 03:15:08 PM »
Well how much is already beginning to change levels on the ship. For example, change the bridge to the engine room or shuttlebay in the turbolift! a part of the script from immersion could serve the purpose , arrives at turbolift and change bridge to holodeck!

Offline Meteorafallen

• MeteorCreations Founder, UUM Art Director, Renderer, Texturer, Graphical Artist
  • Cookies: 48
  • Founder of MeteorCreations
    • MeteorCreations
Re: Some new mod ideas (Planet Sets, SP and Dock bridges)
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 02:53:55 AM »
Planet bridge... oh man this brings back memories...

Former BCS-TNG Lost_Jedi aka LJ (one of lead Excalibur developers now) worked on a project called WalkFX Immersion (now obviously cancelled due to Excalibur). But it did use the same concept.

I did some additional experiments to merge different areas into one, this is not a background but different effects I was working on, though never completed and dumped.

http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/5517/screenshot000gv5.jpg
http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/9193/47408470mf5.jpg
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/7910/19764753rr5.jpg

But nobody get your hopes up lol Just wanted to present what all was\is possible.

Hey! Those pictures were from Earth FX! I wished something would have came of that Mario. I think I still have pictures that you sent me a long time ago of it.
Have a look at my website MeteorCreations

Offline Blackrook32

• BC Files Admin
  • Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1077
    • Blackrook32's YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 12:41:48 AM »
well maybe not so radical and doomed to failure, but having brainwaves and wanted to bounce ideas off people  :)

PLANET BRIDGE
Number of people said be nice to transport to planet. Obviously can't do much once where, but could be used for emergency transport on core breach, or perhaps as part of a mission to recover an item.

Obviously you'd need to script planets to have 'bridges' - can't believe not feasible?   But the 'planet surface' itself easy enough as just a TOS/For Earth Is Hollow-style giant bridge, with choice to have crew on or off set.   Here figure is to MediumCrew scale at 0,0,0 coordinates.

Could also adapt as QB or mission idea for, say,  any ship section (engineering, shuttle bay, etc)  on a specific-modded ship so instead of transporting to bridge you transport to the relevant section.

Hey Lurok,

I believe we discussed this in a PM the other day. :P Though, I was not aware of this thread before hand. :eek

In my many years seeing the mods developed for BC, I'd dare say "Anything is feasible" :D

As for the planet scapes? I think you are on the right track. I've seen mods made for SFC that used a similar tack. Making a huge arena dome. This gave the illusion of fighting over a planet's surface- bombing land based installations and such. But with anything else, the devil is in the scripting.

On your pics, stunning. Love the extended Starbase Control set. :P

" Fortune Favors the Bold "

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 07:38:48 AM »
Can't use bridges other than D and E Bridges without issues
have got GalRefit and SovAdvanced bridges to work ingame.  Were animation/position issues but fixed.  In theory,  could adapt SP to work with any bridge.  Might need some new anims but that would be all.
this is an awesome thing!!
that is one thing in BC that never could be done, but i imagine if anims were redone for other bridges for SP use, there would be a whole new interest in SP again :)
to be able to use the defiant, or intrepid, or ambassador, etc bridges in SP would be awesome :D
if i knew anything about bridge anims, id do all the bridges myself :)

altho i would imagine that would be a major task...  i dont know just how many unique anims SP uses so to create all new ones for all the bridges would be a huge undertaking, i imagine...

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 11:40:23 AM »
In my many years seeing the mods developed for BC, I'd dare say "Anything is feasible" :D

On your pics, stunning. Love the extended Starbase Control set. :P
I'd add caveat "anything is feasible...given time, energy and experience!"  lol.  As you rightly imply, I think the real secret to advancing BC is combination of skills - like BCS with DS9Extended, and Excalibur/3rd Era teams.  Many of us have real skillbase in particular area, like modelling, graphics or scripting.  Some are masters of several.  A rare few can do all.  I'm just one of those people who looks at BC and thinks:  what else can it do?   I do find it amazing the potential it still has after all this time  :)  Oh, and thank Kirk for the starbase set.  It was his graphic project.  I just liked it and thought:  if going to do an ingame one, that's a good inspiration.

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 12:05:42 PM »
Very impressive Lurok!  I particularly like that set you have McCray on (2nd pic).  :bow:

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 12:11:39 PM »
ill be happy to help out in any way i can with changing of the SP bridges (even if just beta testing) :)
im really exited about this prospect!  i really really wish i knew much more about anims - this is a project im sure i wouldnt mind taking on at all myself...

One solution that would make things easier for bridges is rather than have guests (Picard, Data, etc)  seated on bridges have them standing.  
that would be cool; even if they just stand near a console and "pretend" to be using it a bit...  we could go bridge by bridge, mission by mission, to see what fits best...

And perhaps 'beam' onto bridge rather than use lifts.  If there was a way to simulate beam-on -  like in EF2 - that would be cool effect  :)  Even if just in cut-scene.   That way, would only have standing anim that could be placed on any bridge.   Of course,  Maelstrom scripts would have to be rewritten but that's 'relatively' easy, lol  :P
i dunno...  while i see how you mean and it would be easier, i think it might be better to have them walk onto the bridge if it isnt too horribly annoying to do...  in the shows and movies, we just never see someone "beam" onto the bridge rather than walking out a turbolift...

btw - what set is McCray on in that pic??  lol  i cant figure it out...

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 02:11:27 PM »
Thanks for offer, J.  If ever get further with this be sure to let you know.  

i think it might be better to have them walk onto the bridge if it isnt too horribly annoying to do...  in the shows and movies, we just never see someone "beam" onto the bridge rather than walking out a turbolift...

Yeah, the real problem with that obviously is having to have walk-ons for each individual bridge which while not impossible is a real pain and more prone to errors re: scripts.  

Below first ingame test of planet bridge.  Just substituted for ship bridge and transported over so know it works.  Just have to figure out now how to make planets have bridge scripts.  Personally think these are funniest BC pics seen. Certainly pretty unusual  :)  

But knowing planet beam-down works in principle, it wouldn't be impossible (I think) to script crew to do other anims EF-style:  maybe do simple generic walks, hold tricorders or weapons.   And of course all the basic bridge commands are still there.
EDIT: doh.  Having watched Immersion vid again, realise entirely possible. LJ did it.

Offline Blackrook32

• BC Files Admin
  • Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1077
    • Blackrook32's YouTube Channel
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 02:32:47 PM »
LOL on the pics, Lurok :P

I can just imagine using WalkFX to make a mad dash for the shuttle, while under enemy fire :D

" Fortune Favors the Bold "

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 33
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 05:07:20 PM »
lol, love the castle from the cage in the distance! Nice touch!
"The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars." - Carl Sagan

Klingon Academy now works on XP/Vista/Win 7 thanks to one dude's patches, click here for details. I highly recommend it!

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2011, 06:23:06 PM »
lol, love the castle from the cage in the distance! Nice touch!
also 'requrium for metheuslah" [my spelling is terrible] Yes it is a Nice touch, and for that he deserves a Cooooookie
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2011, 12:30:07 PM »
Well spotted, both of you  :funny   Was just curious to test how texturing horizon might work to  assess future possibilities.  And given TOS groove,  thought castle appropriate...

Offline fraher

• Cookies: 10
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 08:04:43 AM »
I think that is posible combine a planet set and a planet bridge. The first with the surface of the planet so you can flight over with a shuttle and the second once you landing and "explore" the surface. The idea is likewise the wormhole set: first a cinematic with the shuttle going to the planet, then we switch to the planet set (the surface of the planet can be a giant ship and we cancel collision between the shuttle and the surface of the planet). Once we landing the shuttle, switch to the planet bridge an voila! Houston the eagle has landing. (Course all this needed the proper scripts but this idea is a start.  ;)