Author Topic: Bridge Commander Maelstrom Mod (BCMM) WIP  (Read 19879 times)

Offline Lurok91

• Cookies: 2062
  • SPMod Developer (Retired)
    • Lurok91 Mods
Bridge Commander Maelstrom Mod (BCMM) WIP
« on: February 19, 2011, 01:56:20 PM »

As this is expanding from idea to ongoing long-term WIP thought be better to start dedicated thread.  Even if total mod doesn't happen - and that would be long way down line - experiments may throw up new mods which could be released individually (e.g., new TOS-to-PDW/STO era crew mods; alien races) or incorporated into established mods like DS9FX.

WHY BOTHER?

Good question.   Especially for any Trek fan/sane person.  Well, simple answer is BC's SP (Single Player campaign mode aka Maelstrom Missions)  was a product of its time with a few quality and canon problems:  low quality first-gen stock character bots, TNG-era Rom bridge in PDW-era, etc.  I doubt creators thought game would survive beyond initial curiosity period .  Two-three years  interest max.  But almost a decade later (A DECADE  :) ), game not only surviving but thriving.  Building on successes of great BC modders (3rd Era Bridge Team,  scripter USS Sovereign,  mod creator Blackrook32, numerous ship creators), the plan is to update SP campaign game to 2011/2012 standards as if game being released now (though obviously with same graphic engine, lol). 

CONCEPT

Update/upgrade single-player campaign game with new and improved mods.  Upgrading and replacing stock ships, planets etc been easy part to now; changing bridges, characters etc been more tricky due to script and animation issues.  Aim of this WIP is to attempt to tackle those issues and provide single player with more choice and flexibility as well as improved gaming experience.

proposed changes:
* replace stock bridges with new versions (and hopefully new more-canon Sovereign bridge by time of release). 
* possible option of substitute DS9/PDW bridges (e.g., Defiant, Excelsior, Intrepid, Miranda, etc)
* replacing all stock characters with EF2-style versions and improved bodies/textures where possible (i.e., new Klingon bodies; new UVW  mapping to allow asymmetrical costumes such as Romulan and Klingon sashes)
* replacing viewscreen bridges & backgrounds with new/improved versions more canon to story era
* overall ship/textures/HP upgrades

note: due to locked narrative/characters/voices,  proposed changes will initially only feature DS9/post-Nemesis eras and not TOS/TMP (but poss TNG).  Although it may be possible to 'edit' the voice scripts/files to remove any DW references, thereby allowing more generic story using same characters.  So Picard for example could be an ancestor or alternative-timeline version in TOS/TMP version.   Just an idea...

WIP TO DATE:
will regularly update wip pics below to reflect current stage of development (last updated: 13/01/2012)

STOCK BRIDGE CHANGES:  stock Galaxy (Dauntless) changed to Galaxy Refit with modifications,  and Sovereign to brand new Nemesis-style bridge model.  Animation issues fixed.  New Sovereign bridge also has Nemesis crew positions (Miguel/Science at helm console; standing Felix at tactical console to rear)

STOCK CHARACTER MODEL CHANGES: The EF2 Bridge Crew mod was a big breakthrough in 2007, bringing a better realistic quality and crew variety to BC.  But as creators acknowledged, it was an alpha release (since abandoned) with known mesh bugs due to limitations of stock BC game biped and its animations, and didn't include alien races such as Klingons, etc outside of a few EF2 crew heads (Korban, Chell, etc).

After experimenting with meshes have decided to abandon also, and instead created new body models for TOS/TMP/TNG/DS9-VOY/FC-NEM/PDW Fed crews, and Cardassians.  More successfully imported and adapted EF2 Klingon and Romulan bodies/heads, as well as missing EF2 heads such as Sydney, Jurot and Telsia.

Kessok still to do.   

STOCK VIEWSCREEN SET CHANGES:  Slowly working through changing viewscreen sets so Klingons now on Rotarran bridge;  Romulans on DS9-era Warbird; new office sets for FedStarbase, Haven, Geki, etc;  and Fed captains on relevant bridges (MacCray on Akira,  Haley on Nebula, etc)

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 02:25:06 PM »
In the words of Peter Griffin:  "Freakin sweet!"  :yay:

Offline Villain

• Cookies: 71
  • The artist formerly known as Prime
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 10:12:56 AM »
A truly awesome accomplishment! You sure you're not Borg?  :funny

"The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago."

Quote from: JimmyB76
der-ner-ner-ner-ner ..... der-ner-ner-ner-ner .....
---
Quote from: Rick Sternbach, on the topic of the Galor Class' length
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 04:12:13 PM »
You're off to a great start on those!  Keep it up.  :)

Offline Mario

• Senior Software Developer
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1704
  • Life is life
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 01:55:26 PM »

@Lurok
You know I wrote a program while back which rewrites SP scripts to replace custom player bridge script and player ships with customizable entries. I'm guessing I could look around and see if I could expand that little program to automate the replacement process even further for modding purposes. Tho, I'm kind of too busy at the moment at work.
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 02:13:54 PM »

You know I wrote a program while back which rewrites SP scripts to replace custom player bridge script and player ships with customizable entries. I'm guessing I could look around and see if I could expand that little program to automate the replacement process even further for modding purposes. Tho, I'm kind of too busy at the moment at work.
Yeah, I remember that program but totally forget about it.  Would be awesome help if worked.  And no rush  :)   Sure this mod WIP going to take a while...

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 07:14:24 PM »
Nice!  Can't wait. ;)

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 08:14:48 AM »
Any ideas/suggestions welcome,  and if anyone has any good trek interiors images for substitute viewscreen backgrounds.  Preferably game graphics but could try real sets also.  For example,  want to find new 'office'  backdrop for Takahara at Geki.   A better Galor bridge backdrop (the BC one fine but a little dark and plain).   Also DS9 ops and Sisko's office. 

Offline Morgan

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 01:53:16 PM »
Looking great Lurok!  Have a cookie.

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 02:05:07 PM »
Thanks for support guys.  The SP modding is turning out to be relatively easy now  (although the bridge substitutes going to be next major challenge),  but the crew/bot modding is a major pain in a**.   :)     But I think it's needed.
 As good as the EF Crew Mod is, it was more an experiment (as its alpha status denotes) and the fact that Excalibur have now abandoned it says a lot.  There's a few things always bugged me about EF mod (collar/neck sizes and joins; hand issues;  no rear UVW for tmp/klingon/rom;  lack of alien races)  and this seems chance to correct those.
The question I'm beginning to debate is whether to persevere with experiments in hope can halfway fix,  or look into possibility of seeing whether can get entirely new character models (which would solve a lot of problems  :)).

Offline Mark

• Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 1797
  • Site Co-Founder
    • ST Excalibur
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 05:47:56 PM »
Hi Lurok,

Just wondering if you were planning to attempt a replace of the sovereign and galaxy bridges in SP?

Before I left I did have a couple of stabs at importing entirely new bridge sets for the sovereign and galaxy but it simply fell over as soon as the mission loaded - didn't spend much time debugging it but I assumed there were all kinds of dependencies in the model itself, would be interesting to see this achieved though.

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 07:26:54 AM »
Just wondering if you were planning to attempt a replace of the sovereign and galaxy bridges in SP?

Before I left I did have a couple of stabs at importing entirely new bridge sets for the sovereign and galaxy but it simply fell over as soon as the mission loaded - didn't spend much time debugging it but I assumed there were all kinds of dependencies in the model itself, would be interesting to see this achieved though.

Hi Mark. Nice to see a bridge elder back here  :bow:

I assume you mean replace gal/sov bridges with different bridges like Defiant, Excelsior, Miranda, etc?  Yes, that would be plan.  USS Sovereign is planning to update a script mod he made that would hopefully allow player to do that.  I did an experiment replacing Galaxy bridge at mission start, and of course doesn't work because of anim/script problems.  But works  in later missions in test mode so it's simply( :))  a case of debugging those dependencies where required.   Still, quite a lot work yet  :D

Offline Mark

• Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 1797
  • Site Co-Founder
    • ST Excalibur
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 03:00:52 PM »
I assume you mean replace gal/sov bridges with different bridges like Defiant, Excelsior, Miranda, etc? 

The Galaxy I tried to replace with the Generations Galaxy, as for the Sovereign bridge.... well lets just say I would have finished a replacement model if I had have gotten this working. :P

Yes, that would be plan.  USS Sovereign is planning to update a script mod he made that would hopefully allow player to do that.  I did an experiment replacing Galaxy bridge at mission start, and of course doesn't work because of anim/script problems.  But works  in later missions in test mode so it's simply( :))  a case of debugging those dependencies where required.   Still, quite a lot work yet  :D

The problem is that there are many elements of those stock bridges we just don't understand (for instance flicker LCARS) and that's to say nothing of the features which were worked on but never fully implemented in the game (There are various anchor points the player should be able to move between on the stock bridges) for which the legacy may cause the sets to not load correctly on SP or QB.

Far from being a naysayer, I would love to see these issues overcome but - know your enemy :D.

Offline Cpt. Brahms

• Galaxy X fanatic
  • Cookies: 1
  • USS Atlas NX-90815
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 02:31:27 PM »
This is looking SWEET!!! :dance

Keep up the good work :thumbsup: this'll be awesome when it's done

Offline Nexxus21

• Commanding USS Solaris Mk-I Refit
  • Cookies: 4
  • Our Continuing Mission Of Exploration
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 06:34:40 AM »
This just keeps getting better and better! Nice work.
If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us...-Adlai E. Stevenson Jr.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2011, 09:44:45 PM »
You're off to a good start Lurok.  Keep at it!  :)

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 08:56:02 AM »
not bad, not bad atall. and a cookie.
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline Captain_D

• Captain of the Seafood Universe
  • Cookies: 5
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 09:58:51 AM »
Some exceptional work, they are coming along very nicely.

Definitely cookie worthy. :thumbsup:

Offline Morgan

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 02:36:38 PM »
Very well done sir!

*Cookied*

Offline Phoenix Bondi

• REMEMBER YOUR ORIGIN
  • Cookies: 575
  • Never Forget Your Origins
    • CHRIS JONES GAMING
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2012, 10:33:37 AM »
How in the HELL did i miss this - now looking forward to this big time!!!