Author Topic: EF/EF2 set import project - Alternate red alert  (Read 6529 times)

Offline Nx-809

• Cookies: 25
EF/EF2 set import project - Alternate red alert
« on: February 26, 2011, 02:37:44 PM »
After extensive research in recent times have finally succeeded!! importing a complete model set from elite force/EF2 in 3d max  :D of course, like almost all imports ,there is some problem like a double face , some pannel disappeared , ecc.  currently, I import  a sov bridge(with captain and observatory room) sov engine, dallas bridge, klingon bridge (from EF1 scavenger base). with a bit of work I hope to be able to import them into bridge commander.

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 33
  • 6EQUJ5
Re: EF/EF2 set import project
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 10:50:02 PM »
Frakkin' sweet!

It looks like the objects have remained separate, so that should make things a little easier when it comes to tecturing them again. I assume the EFI/II brushes, or whatever the textures are called in that engine, didn't transfer?
"The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars." - Carl Sagan

Klingon Academy now works on XP/Vista/Win 7 thanks to one dude's patches, click here for details. I highly recommend it!

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 11:16:58 PM »
whatever the textures are called in that engine
EF2 uses .dds textures :)

I'm very excited about this project, I've always wanted to see the EF2 Sovereign bridge in BC.  Best of luck to you.  :D

Offline AdmiralKathryn

• Cookies: 4
  • Starfleet Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 07:24:14 AM »
Depending on the method of conversion, the texture co-ordinates should still be available on each brush. You would need to point the Max path to the correct folder and I think it would be ideal if the .dds texture files were converted to another format (makes it easier to work with) :)

Offline Killallewoks

• RNR
  • Cookies: 175
  • Innuendo implier extordanaire.
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 07:26:25 AM »
Sweet mother of mercy thats a helluva an achievement!

Offline fraher

• Cookies: 10
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 11:22:40 AM »
Congratulations. Your work is very important because is a start point for all that, like me and other more good and talentous people, are working in new interiors to our ships and beyond. The new bridges are awesome, but all of us want wallk in another sets. Keep the good working and "remenber risk is our business"  :)

Offline Nx-809

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 12:01:58 PM »
thank's :D you could also import a planet surface(like lurok planet bridge).. borg interiror..ecc
Frakkin' sweet

It looks like the objects have remained separate, so that should make things a little easier when it comes to tecturing them again. I assume the EFI/II brushes, or whatever the textures are called in that engine, didn't transfer?
unfortunately the import loose the uvmap!
converting format .dds to .tga it's not a big problem! :thumbsup:

Offline Lurok91

• Cookies: 2062
  • SPMod Developer (Retired)
    • Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 01:49:37 PM »
Impressed with your patience  :)   Experimented myself with imports but having seen results decided not worth doing.  But good for you for continuing and best of luck  :thumbsup:  Be interesting to see further developments.   Oh, and hopefully still on-topic,  just curious why so many people seem to prefer the EF2 Sov bridge over the BC one? 

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 02:22:52 PM »
just curious why so many people seem to prefer the EF2 Sov bridge over the BC one?
For me 90% of it just seems to be better quality model-wise, though I personally would swap out the chairs for the one's 3E experimented with in that "high poly bridge test", and the captains chair on the FC Excelsior bridge...

Offline AdmiralKathryn

• Starfleet Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 04:51:00 AM »
On the texture co-ordinates issue, as far as I'm aware GTK still has the brush export tool available (can export to .obj). This keeps the texture co-ordinates meaning you wouldn't have to uv everything over again.

For example:

Offline Nx-809

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 08:54:20 AM »
On the texture co-ordinates issue, as far as I'm aware GTK still has the brush export tool available (can export to .obj). This keeps the texture co-ordinates meaning you wouldn't have to uv everything over again.

I have no idea how it works! :eek
I read on the EF2files site GTKradiant work only with EF1!r

wow! are your model or imported??

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 33
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 09:30:37 PM »
To answer Lurok's question, the BC bridge is very innacurate, far too narrow and small. The EFII bridge is much closer to the real set's dimensions and proportions.
"The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars." - Carl Sagan

Klingon Academy now works on XP/Vista/Win 7 thanks to one dude's patches, click here for details. I highly recommend it!

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 10:53:54 PM »
the BC bridge is very innacurate, far too narrow and small. The EFII bridge is much closer to the real set's dimensions and proportions.
For me 90% of it just seems to be better quality model-wise, though I personally would swap out the chairs for the one's 3E experimented with in that "high poly bridge test", and the captains chair on the FC Excelsior bridge...

Ashamed to say never really noticed before or cared  :facepalm:   Knew wasn't perfect facsimile but few bridges are.  But you guys right: EF2 Sov bridge far more accurate.  Although agree with Nero that chairs need redoing/replacing.  And the textures and lcars esp will need an overhaul.   

Guess it's down to NX-809 now, but with the new DJ/WC  Sov ship models due soon probably about time we had a new bridge too  :D

Offline Nx-809

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 08:21:30 PM »
thank's guys :D!!
the sovereign bridge is going slowly because there are parts to rebuild!
I imported some other sections of the sovereign!
i post a picture of the Dallas bridge I have reuwmap some of the walls !

Offline AdmiralKathryn

• Starfleet Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 05:02:00 PM »
I have no idea how it works! :eek
I read on the EF2files site GTKradiant work only with EF1!r

wow! are your model or imported??

Ah, I forgot that GTKRadiant may only work with EF1, not used it in a long time so can't remember. The images above were originally part of my VoyagerRPG map for EF1. There are three ways that I can remember using to convert the .map files to something Max could read, 1. Using the .obj exported in GTK Radiant that I mentioned before, 2. Pretty sure I was able to convert the map to .obj using qmap2 with a GUI and 3. was using an old program that could read a wide range of model and map formats (forget the name unfortunately) but I was able to read in the .map files and convert to .obj. All of these methods retained the UV data.

The images above are direct imports into Max, which I placed the textures on and rendered in Max itself. There is alot of cleanup required with importing EF1/EF2 data so I commend you on your efforts. Though, I think even with the cleanup, some of the models would need to be rebuilt for canon purposes.

e.g. if you compare the Intrepid Viewscreen etc to the actual show dimensions, it's off massively XD

EDIT: The name of the program that can open .map files is Deep Exploration by Right Hemisphere. I'm pretty sure the program was easy enough to use :)

Offline Nx-809

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 12:29:49 PM »
There are three ways that I can remember using to convert the .map files to something Max could read, 1. Using the .obj exported in GTK Radiant that I mentioned before, 2. Pretty sure I was able to convert the map to .obj using qmap2 with a GUI and 3. was using an old program that could read a wide range of model and map formats (forget the name unfortunately) but I was able to read in the .map files and convert to .obj. All of these methods retained the UV data. The name of the program that can open .map files is Deep Exploration by Right Hemisphere. I'm pretty sure the program was easy enough to use :)

Thank's AdmiralKathryn! I tried all 3 methods of importation that you told me But I found the following problems:
method 1: in GTK radiant i don't found the .obj exporter in plugin section.
method 2: in qmap2 give me an error and i don't found the qmap2 with GUI
method 3: i found " deep exploration" and installed but when I go to open the files. map you can see only vague shapes or anything.
you have already used these programs? could you give me a hand  :angel ?

Offline AdmiralKathryn

• Starfleet Captain
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 08:21:03 AM »
I'll be online later on and should be able to have a look :)

Edit:

This is the most accurate method I could come up with that keeps intact all .map structures/models etc as well as texture co-ordinates. When importing into max, all you need to do is point the materials to the correct texture files and you have your basic materials.

Basically, I used q3maptoolz (q3map2 GUI) to convert the .map file to .ase. I then imported this file into Deep Exploration and used that program to convert into .obj for import into Max. Apparantly this was the method I used in the screenshots above and it keeps all map patch brushes, models and the texture co-ordinates for everything too.

Offline Nx-809

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2011, 01:07:25 PM »
This is the most accurate method I could come up with that keeps intact all .map structures/models etc as well as texture co-ordinates. When importing into max, all you need to do is point the materials to the correct texture files and you have your basic materials.

Basically, I used q3maptoolz (q3map2 GUI) to convert the .map file to .ase. I then imported this file into Deep Exploration and used that program to convert into .obj for import into Max. Apparantly this was the method I used in the screenshots above and it keeps all map patch brushes, models and the texture co-ordinates for everything too.
ok i tried and this work only for EF1!
Q3map2 don't convert EF2 .bsp or .map in .ase

UberRadiant have a plugin section but is empty. I downloaded the plugins for gtk radiant for export in .obj but I have no idea how to install..should also work for uber radiant!

For now an update

i rebuild some walls and uvmap most of the model!

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 11:23:25 AM »
Good work there, NX  :)

I did manage to export from EF2 ok, but as I mentioned before didn't like these results so abandoned and sadly have deleted all exporters from pc  :facepalm:

But hope these links might help:

http://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/idtech/make-models-from-bsp-maps-or-brushes-advanced.php
https://sites.google.com/site/chongleevoxels/howtoexportq3map

Offline Nx-809

Re: EF/EF2 set import project - Sov bridge
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2011, 10:35:19 AM »
Good work there, NX  :)

I did manage to export from EF2 ok, but as I mentioned before didn't like these results so abandoned and sadly have deleted all exporters from pc  :facepalm:

But hope these links might help:

http://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/idtech/make-models-from-bsp-maps-or-brushes-advanced.php
https://sites.google.com/site/chongleevoxels/howtoexportq3map

thank you lurok!  :P
but I am not mistaken that the procedures for converting models! with EF1 q3map2 work and are easy to import to 3d max!
these problems with EF2 are:
1 - uber radiant and gtk radiant: no plugin section (see picture1)
2 - q3map2 with GUI and Without GUI  give me an error converting EF2.bsp
EF2 bsp are too new and q3map2 is too old!
for now my method is the best choice!

update from sovbridge
-added chairs and console
- for lcars i have to choose between the original EF2 or change with another.