Author Topic: DS9FX Xtended 1.2  (Read 7501 times)

Offline ECGadget

• aka Intercity125
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 260
  • Sweet Niblets!
Re: DS9FX Xtended 1.2
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2017, 07:50:26 AM »
This... This could be fun  :D

You should change your profile to now read: "Xtended map maker, bridge beta tester, BCSP tester... Out of retirement"

Offline Mario

• Senior Software Developer
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1706
  • Life is life
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2017, 12:12:58 PM »
What to do in 1.2... More features? More missions? New techs? New systems?
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2017, 12:41:52 PM »
What to do in 1.2... More features? More missions? New techs? New systems?
I originally built Starbase 375 as an option for future mission expansion.  The "Retake DS9" historic missions could be launched from there and I had a thought about a mission where you destroy the Dominion sensor array in the Argolis Cluster (from DS9 season six "Behind the Lines") launching from there too.  I think I could create a pretty cool Argolis Cluster  :wink:

Offline ECGadget

• aka Intercity125
  • Webmaster
  • Sweet Niblets!
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2017, 12:57:03 PM »
More Easter eggs. This is a must.

On a serious note, I think more tech would be super. I cannot remember but was the BCS-TNG mod included with DS9FX?  And there was a cut down GalaxyMaps in there right? Maybe expand upon those too?

Offline Morgan

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2017, 07:04:03 PM »
More Easter eggs. This is a must.

On a serious note, I think more tech would be super. I cannot remember but was the BCS-TNG mod included with DS9FX?  And there was a cut down GalaxyMaps in there right? Maybe expand upon those too?
DS9FX never had BCS:TNG - The Beginning included, or anything else.  It has Galaxy Charts compatibility and that was emphasized in the manual, but didn't actually include it.

Offline ECGadget

• aka Intercity125
  • Webmaster
  • Sweet Niblets!
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2017, 07:14:02 PM »
Maybe we should do that this time? Put all those wonderful mods together (I'm sure one of us can get hold of Frontier and tempt him with cookies to return to modding for a bit if we have to?) and maybe try to get the most solid integration of it done?

Obviously DS9FX and The Beginning (I forgot the name :P) are your guys work so merging them would be easy enough. Also just realised I made this same mistake almost ten years ago.  :banghead:

I'd love to put some claim on that work but I think I literally did 2 lines of code in total that may or may not have ever been used xD

But yes, that I think would be great. I think most of the team is still here or over with Excalibur, so yeah.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2017, 07:41:55 PM »
Eh I think combining those would go down the path of creating another KM, vs a standalone update to Xtended that one could install either on a stock 1.1 BC or a KM install. Ultimately it's not my call, but I'm voting against.

Offline Mario

• Administrator
  • Life is life
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2017, 07:44:46 PM »
I want to do new things, not include something that already exists and can be downloaded side by side. DS9FX design motto was plug and play with compatibility implemented to the best of our ability with other mods. Due to a wide variety of mods available out there we'd implemented support with major mods where issues were detected: MVAM compatibility, NanoFX compatibility, GC compatibility (that was was tough, we'd had to implement partial mod detection and what was enabled in order for missions to work)...

And more Easter eggs you say? I'm sure people after all this time failed to discover existing ones. Like a reference to lol wow cool (this has been immortalized), ending up in mirror universe :)

Actually Nero it's your call, I put you in charge didn't I? :)
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline Morgan

« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2017, 08:07:13 PM »
I want to do new things, not include something that already exists and can be downloaded side by side. DS9FX design motto was plug and play with compatibility implemented to the best of your ability with other mods. Due to a wide variety of mods available out there we'd implemented support with major mods where issues were detected: MVAM compatibility, NanoFX compatibility, GC compatibility (that was was tough, we'd had to implement partial mod detection and what was enabled in order for missions to work)...

And more Easter eggs you say? I'm sure people after all this time failed to discover existing ones. Like a reference to lol wow cool (this has been immortalized), ending up in mirror universe :)

Actually Nero it's your call, I put you in charge didn't I? :)
I agree with new things, and if we can throw any more rocks and knock out a memory leak or NFX2 instability so BC is a little more stable all the better.

Overall I just don't want DS9FX's personality lost by trying to throw in older standalone mods. KM is a mod compilation package, not DS9FX. DS9FX is, to me, a Deep Space Nine-themed expansion to Bridge Commander that is fun to play, adds new features, new missions, and is good for the game's health. :)

Offline newhalo123

• Gamer, Trekkie, Metalhead.
  • Cookies: 211
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2017, 08:10:45 PM »
But KM has been dead for years now. Maybe just have a separate version with everything so that people wanting all of them don't have to dl multiple things?

I loved KM, and it was being worked on a couple years ago by someone else, but, it died again.

Idk, as an outsider, and not a dev, my vote is to include everything, even if it means 2 versions. one that is pure DS9FX, and one with just everything included.
"Live long, and prosper." -Leonard Nimoy 'Spock' (1931-2015)

"Why, you stuck up, half-witted, scruffy looking nerf herder! " -Carrie Fisher 'Leia' (1956-2016)

Offline ECGadget

• aka Intercity125
  • Webmaster
  • Sweet Niblets!
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2017, 08:13:00 PM »
In that case, I'd like to see the entire DS9 series playable in BC.

Ah, if only.
Seriously though, I am looking forward to this massively!

Halo, it should be easy to install both. I used to have KM 0.91 (disliked 1.0) with GC, TB and DS9FXtended as my base mods and they were very very stable.

Offline newhalo123

• Cookies: 211
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2017, 08:15:01 PM »
I mean, yeah, it's incredibly easy to just install multiple things, I've never had a problem with that. I guess I really just want a new KM version tbh. lol

In any case, I am also looking massively forward to 1.2!
"Live long, and prosper." -Leonard Nimoy 'Spock' (1931-2015)

"Why, you stuck up, half-witted, scruffy looking nerf herder! " -Carrie Fisher 'Leia' (1956-2016)

Offline ECGadget

• aka Intercity125
  • Webmaster
  • Sweet Niblets!
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2017, 08:18:00 PM »
For a new KM version we better find the KM creators... Not even sure most or any are active anymore...

Offline Mario

• Administrator
  • Life is life
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2017, 08:22:02 PM »
I agree with new things, and if we can throw any more rocks and knock out a memory leak or NFX2 instability so BC is a little more stable all the better.

Sadly if my memory serves me correctly that's not fixable (well without you know src code changes). We could do a circle back on these of course and see if anything can be done once again.

Overall I just don't want DS9FX's personality lost by trying to throw in older standalone mods. KM is a mod compilation package, not DS9FX. DS9FX is, to me, a Deep Space Nine-themed expansion to Bridge Commander that is fun to play, adds new features, new missions, and is good for the game's health.

I am glad you agree :)

But KM has been dead for years now. Maybe just have a separate version with everything so that people wanting all of them don't have to dl multiple things?

I loved KM, and it was being worked on a couple years ago by someone else, but, it died again.

Idk, as an outsider, and not a dev, my vote is to include everything, even if it means 2 versions. one that is pure DS9FX, and one with just everything included.

If Nero agrees we could think about it, but first I recommend that we put out a roadmap as what we actually want in there. This is project planning phase after all.
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline ECGadget

• aka Intercity125
  • Webmaster
  • Sweet Niblets!
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2017, 08:23:52 PM »
Could ask Nano if he knows any possible way with more experience now?

Offline Morgan

« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2017, 08:25:09 PM »
I mean, yeah, it's incredibly easy to just install multiple things, I've never had a problem with that. I guess I really just want a new KM version tbh. lol
From an outside perspective I can understand where you're coming from, but from an inside perspective doing a new/replacement KM might just be a bit more than we can commit time to.  I'm not half the scripting god Mario is and he has commitments of his own too.

Quote from: ECGadget
In that case, I'd like to see the entire DS9 series playable in BC.
We can give you a "Move Along Home" mission  :P

Offline Mario

• Administrator
  • Life is life
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2017, 08:41:47 PM »
Could ask Nano if he knows any possible way with more experience now?

From what I recall he doesn't remember much about BC anymore... And who could blame him.
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline Morgan

« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2017, 08:45:59 PM »
Holy balls, as I'm typing more replies get posted.  It's just like the good ol' hey days!!  :D

Sadly if my memory serves me correctly that's not fixable (well without you know src code changes). We could do a circle back on these of course and see if anything can be done once again.
Very true.  I honestly don't think even Activision or the original devs have the source code anymore - Totally Games is long defunct and Activision lost the Trek license a year after BC was released :(

If Nero agrees we could think about it, but first I recommend that we put out a roadmap as what we actually want in there. This is project planning phase after all.
Agreed on both fronts.  I'm reluctant to try to commit to something as big as a KM update/replacement - I think with how small the community has gotten it might just be too demoralizing if real life catches up with us again and the project ends up dying  :(

In any case, I've sent the latest build over to Mario and Blackrook for them to test out the balance adjustments with the ships, some updated lighting on Starbase 375, and the updated Major Kira bot integrated.  I'd post a public beta to get a bigger pulse from the community, but since this is built off of 1.1 and the standalone patch is gone (unless someone has it on their harddrive somewhere - if you do please post a link!) it's remaining internal for now.  We're also trying to get LC's Defiant to replace Nine of Nine's, but so far no word - LC's been off the grid for a hot minute and I haven't even seen him be a part of Excalibur for a while.  Mario's working on getting in touch with him, so hopefully news on that soon.

Offline ECGadget

• aka Intercity125
  • Webmaster
  • Sweet Niblets!
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2017, 08:56:34 PM »
Not move along home. Anything but that. XD

Sov, I'll ask him anyway!

And I think I have the 1.1 patch. I'll check in the morning to see. I tend to keep old patch files in case they disappear!

Offline Mario

• Administrator
  • Life is life
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2017, 09:00:36 PM »
Not move along home. Anything but that. XD

Since you asked so nicely just for you we'll include it  :funny
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign