Author Topic: JB2005 WIP Thread - Rebuild Destroyed Systems  (Read 2281 times)

Offline JB2005

• Scripter, Lawyer, Soldier, Spy
  • Cookies: 58
    • Captain's Orders Blog
Re: JB2005 WIP Thread - Rebuild Destroyed Systems
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2013, 12:33:14 PM »
One of the scripts I've been working on (it's on the back burner right now!) is what got me started on scripting in the first place - a hailing mod for QuickBattle...my initial thought was that I'd put this into the Comm Officer - the trouble is (like the Activate EMH suffered from) I have to use a bridge which has a dedicated Guest spot on it...which most of them don't!

I had a brainwave and tried to use an Extra Position for a guest character...I'm still not sure why but that just made BC crash to the desktop!

So long story short...I hope so! I just thought of an idea whereby when you load a bridge - if it's Galaxy or Sovereign, it adds in the Comm Officer Character and if it's a different bridge it just moves all the comm officer buttons to either Kiska or Miguel! That'd probably be doable actually!
http://captainsordersdevelopmentblog.blogspot.com/2011/12/preview-no-1.html- Captains Orders Development Blog - Last Updated 10/12/2011

Offline JB2005

• Captain's Orders Blog
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 03:19:16 PM »
Update:

&feature=youtube_gdata [/youtube]

Finally got this working! This is what the mod won't look like when it's finished, because as I was recording this video I realised that I hate it!
Well, that's not strictly true! I'm very pleased with how it's shaped up thus far - I just don't like the flashing blue text - that's going to change! Also I'm not enamoured at all with the 1 of 7 - but again I have an idea of what to do about that!

It's going to be sleeker and operate differently - every time a phaser bank (or whatever) is rebuilt, it will come back online, rather than waiting for the however many seconds to elapse! However, I think I'll still set it to disable the phaser system whilst the rebuilding's going on - the difference will mainly be what appears in the "Destroyed Systems" Menu!

I'm quite proud of the way it partially rebuilds though!
http://captainsordersdevelopmentblog.blogspot.com/2011/12/preview-no-1.html- Captains Orders Development Blog - Last Updated 10/12/2011

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 03:44:01 PM »
still very good. :dance
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline Mario

• Senior Software Developer
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1706
  • Life is life
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, 05:17:36 PM »
Just had a look at it - I thought I'd read all the 'The Beginning' scripts at one time or another, but that's the first time I've opened that one!

I think (hope!) that the Core Breach mod won't interact with TPS - the Plasma Stream only comes into play if it's manually vented with Brex's button, and all I've done with it is added in a script into autoload which checks my Core Breach script to see if the Core's breaching when the Vent Plasma button is pressed! If it is then my script runs through a couple of things to either stop the breach or extend the time! I think that even if (though I'm going to check this now) you're in a battle and the core's breaching, if your nacelle gets struck and the plasma vents, the Core Breach Script won't notice it? Which is probably 'more' canon - controlled vent vs explosive decompression of the plasma! (If that makes sense? I just got out of a two hour equity exam and my brain feels like so much mush!)

Yay, I forgot to complete my post... Anyway what I actually wanted to point out was the following: There are 2 plasma vent scripts, 1st one was Mleos and was deprecated by BCS:TB's VentPlasmaBCS script and this VentPlasmaBCS is a part of the Targetable Plasma Streams (although a separate script).
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline JB2005

• Captain's Orders Blog
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2013, 09:53:06 PM »
&feature=youtube_gdata[/youtube]

Just a quick(!) update:

Totally rewritten the mod, now the Engineering Crew will rebuild a discrete component every 10 seconds (or another - possibly user defined - interval). You can view the percentage damage, time to complete each component etc...

Oh yeah and I added a new screen to Brex's Window! That has literally taken me 6 hours of research, trial and error (mostly error) swearing and finally success to a) stop it crashing the game and b) be the right size and in the right place!

So far there are only a few options. I'm debating whether to move all the buttons into the window or to keep the layout (broadly) as it is currently!

My next step will be to start adding in Cargo Bay space and defining components! More research - but this time on Memory Alpha, rather than trawling through every script I can think of!

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 07:43:42 AM »
very cool!!  i wonder if this would work with SP; could make a fine addition to Lurok's SP mod that we're working on...

Offline JB2005

• Captain's Orders Blog
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 08:14:38 AM »
well I was originally planning to disable all these for SP so that they didn't interfere with it if someone wanted to install it on top of KM...but in theory there's no reason why Rebuild Destroyed Systems wouldn't work fine with single player!

Offline Lurok91

• Cookies: 2062
  • SPMod Developer (Retired)
    • Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 09:45:39 AM »
very cool!!  i wonder if this would work with SP; could make a fine addition to Lurok's SP mod that we're working on...

Hey you...it's our SP mod (you, me, Baz, Wiley, Cy, everyone who's contributed)  :P

As JB hints, can't see a reason why wouldn't work.  I'm just impressed he's creating new crew windows!   

Offline JB2005

• Captain's Orders Blog
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 09:48:34 AM »
I can't claim credit for it! Defiant created the Scan window for Miguel literally years ago! I just used the same concept here! (Plus looking at Defiant's made me realise why mine - a knock off of the Power Screen - kept crashing the game!)

Offline JB2005

• Captain's Orders Blog
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2013, 12:43:33 PM »
Update:

After a day and a bit of trying to lock down why I kept getting a type error in the console - sorted now - I've gone back to writing the GUI code!

I've now finished the damage report screen and added in a seperate pane which will allow you to select different screens for rebuilding specific systems! This is conditional on a ship having that system installed - so for example if you are aboard a Galaxy Class ship it won't show options for a cloaking device, as this video demonstrates:

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2013, 01:10:48 PM »
thats just pure awesome! :D

Offline JB2005

• Captain's Orders Blog
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2013, 09:04:16 PM »
Thanks Jimmy!

Been scripting for a few hours and I now have the whole rebuild systems code written! It works on the principle that different systems take different amounts of time to rebuild (ie Tractor beam projectors 20 seconds; Warp Core 60 seconds; Cloaking Device 50 seconds etc) and tomorrow I'm going to see about implementing the cargo requirements!

(Incidentally I realise that this leaves out things based on Hull Properties - Slipstream Drive etc - I think I've figured out how I'd go about implementing that! Just need to check it - but that will probably be an addendum after the main script is finished!)

I think a Youtube Video would be a little bit pointless since there's too much to show off now! So here's a picture of a Vorcha rebuilding its sensors!

Still to do:

- Cargo/Components
- Workbees
- Misc components (Slipstream Drives etc)

Offline JB2005

• Captain's Orders Blog
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2013, 12:08:19 PM »
Another quick update - starting to get the Cargo Bays made!

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2013, 01:36:04 PM »
quick questions - in the upper left GUI, where it says "Destroy Systems" - does that mean hitting that would destroy your own ship systems?
or is it meant to be like "Destroyed Systems" in which case a submenu of destroyed systems would appear?

Offline JB2005

• Captain's Orders Blog
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2013, 02:19:18 PM »
That's what I've been using to test the repair system! that button will now destroy every system on  a ship which isn't a hull property or warp core!

Similarly the button that says "repair systems" does the reverse and restores all the ship's systems!

Subspace Transporter is a copy of Defiant's Transporter script, but with the range part commented out!

And "Install cloaking device was an idea I had this morning that doesn't work! (Yet!)

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2013, 02:27:57 PM »
this is great!!!

Engineers getting more stuff to do is always cool  :yay:
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2013, 03:25:07 PM »
that button will now destroy every system on  a ship which isn't a hull property or warp core!
you mean destroying one's own ship systems?  like if i hit that button my own systems would be destroyed?  im not so sure i would want to do that lol

Offline JB2005

• Captain's Orders Blog
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2013, 12:53:20 PM »
Sorry should explained better! That button's totally seperate from the mod! It's just there so that I can make sure that all the repair things are working as they should!

Everything to do with the mod should be self contained within the GUI screen as far as user-input is concerned!

Update:

Little progress has been made over the past few days as I got into a furious argument with the AI Editor and then with Python MegaWidgets, then another with the AI Editor and then I just sort of gave up and went off in a huff!

We're all friends now though and I've managed to get the WorkBees...ummm...working I guess...in game!

My only regret is that I had to add in a "avoid colliding with objects" bit into the AI for the Workbees (they kept crashing into each other) as before that they made some very daring orbits of the ship! Still it's not a bad effect and at some point I'll try and get the phasers working as well! (Though because I don't want them interfering with RDS they'll be set to 0 power and will be purely for show!)

Another Update:

(sorry for spamming... - EDIT - Amalgamated my recent posts!) Updated the first post!

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2013, 01:11:07 PM »
umm JB why not just make the worker bees no-clip?
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline JB2005

• Captain's Orders Blog
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2013, 08:13:27 PM »
When you say no-clip I guess you mean turn off collisions?

Simply put - I'm keeping collisions on because I want there to be an "opportunity/cost" for using workbees - namely that the repair will be faster, (which since all of the repairs would - with the possible exception of the warp core/shield generators/sensors/cloaking device for which I may make exceptions - be faster since you have direct access to their external components - the trade off for that is that you have to stay still when you use them otherwise they might bang into you...

I suppose it might be possible to make them fly through each other - but to be honest I sort of like the 'realism' that it creates that the things can bang into each other as well!

Although I appreciate that not everyone will share that view! I think that what I'll do is throw in an option in UMM - you can either have them with collisions off or on and leave it up to the individual player to decide! It shouldn't be too much hassle to fix that up!