Author Topic: Andyp's bridge thread  (Read 6622 times)

Offline andyp

• Cookies: 28
Andyp's bridge thread
« on: April 19, 2011, 04:00:57 AM »
Hey all,
ive decided to get of my backside and start modeling again, my first few attempts were never very successful. I just thought i would post some WIP shots of what i have on my latest bridge effort, i would like to eventually get it into bridge commander, but that would require a lot of learning on my part. I have been working on it very slowly in my free time.

Things i still need to work on for the modeling / texture phase:
-Ceiling (episode did not have many references so ill have to make it up)
-Standing consoles
-Railing behind Captains Chair
-Displays behind Captains chair
-Captains Chair lcars
-redo the doors, or retexture
-Create a turbo lift. (will be a generic on similar to the one for the Pasteur)

The side chairs are from the Enterprise: Temporal Cold War Mod for HL2, and i put in temporary L-cars. Everything else i made my self. This is the set rendered in blender 2.55
You may know me as Batoy853 elsewhere...

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
Re: Andyp's bridge thread
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 06:05:05 AM »
Looks good so far.
Official BCC Discord ยท https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Nx-809

• Cookies: 25
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 04:02:23 PM »
Nebula Bridge Mk1  :yay: cool :P

keep your work :thumbsup:

Offline andyp

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 10:07:11 PM »
Built the turbo-lift today, was trying to go for the feel of the lift as seen on all good things for the Pasteur. The first image shows a railing, i didnt really like how it looked to i deleted it for the second.
The Lcars are from Robert aka explorer over at Lcarsc

Offline Captain Serek

• A fan that likes bridges and ships
  • Cookies: 0
  • Captain of the USS Intrepid II
    • Starfleet Operating Forces Official Site
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 12:40:18 AM »
Nice work so far and not an easy bridge. Keep going with it.
I've come a long way for the power of Genesis and what do I find? A Square Pegs reject, another actress playing Saavik and Leonard Nimoy's stand-in!

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 08:43:56 AM »
NICE bridge there.
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 65535
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 12:05:45 PM »
Nice so far, though I'm not sure about the Transporter LCARS in the turbolift...I'll have to see more to give my final word.
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 01:01:26 PM »
quick question - the chairs on the side consoles, they look like office chairs...  wouldnt it be kinda difficult if the ship were in battle and the bridge was shaking around, with the chairs on wheels rolling around?  shouldnt the be like "anchored" in place or something?
just a quick random thought...

Offline andyp

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 01:09:29 PM »
Nice so far, though I'm not sure about the Transporter LCARS in the turbolift...I'll have to see more to give my final word.

I may modify them and remove the energize bars, and replace them with a display, that way i can reuse the same texture for the standing consoles, however i think i would have to ask permission from Explorer first. the other solution would be to take the standard helm/ops lcars and use them instead.

quick question - the chairs on the side consoles, they look like office chairs...  wouldnt it be kinda difficult if the ship were in battle and the bridge was shaking around, with the chairs on wheels rolling around?  shouldnt the be like "anchored" in place or something?
just a quick random thought...

thats a good point, and was thinking of the same thing a few days ago. ill take a look at modifying them, and doing that would even reduce the poly count. However, i am pretty sure these chairs were also used as equinox chairs on voyager. I choose them because the bridge illustration that i found had them.

Sadly i wont be able to work on this today, i have to leave for class right now, its just afternoon in Milwaukee, and right after class i have to go to work, which i get done at 11. we'll see what i can do tomorrow.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 01:35:26 PM »
However, i am pretty sure these chairs were also used as equinox chairs on voyager.
youre prolly right, and im sure chairs-with-wheels might have been seen on other bridges...  
to me, thats a weird idea; im not sure why set designers would have done that lol

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 01:42:12 PM »
youre prolly right, and im sure chairs-with-wheels might have been seen on other bridges... 
to me, thats a weird idea; im not sure why set designers would have done that lol

maybe they put magnetic restraints to the wheels or some stuff like that ;)

on a side note... this looks very much like the bridge from that Nebula Data was given command of when they had to stop that Tasha-Yar-like Romulan Bitc... I mean lady :D

with some minor texture chages this would perfectly fit it, tho IIRC they had a tactical table there ... not sure tho, it was long time ago since i saw it

great work so far ! cookie !

Offline Captain Serek

• A fan that likes bridges and ships
  • Cookies: 0
  • Captain of the USS Intrepid II
    • Starfleet Operating Forces Official Site
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 01:48:22 PM »
The bridge is the USS Sutherland from TNG Redemption Part 2 which Lt. Cmdr. Data commanded. So far for a WIP, he is off to a great start.
I've come a long way for the power of Genesis and what do I find? A Square Pegs reject, another actress playing Saavik and Leonard Nimoy's stand-in!

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 33
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 09:18:39 AM »
Wow, the directing of that episode really hid how cheap the bridge set was.

That's not to cast aspersions on your excellent job!

I'd like to chime in on the lift LCARS. I think we're all big enough nerds here to know that that is a transporter control panel. Perhaps a vague turbolift network map, like the non-ship-specific one in the Defiant turboes would be more appropriate - recoloured to match the period of this bridge, with maybe a few controls on the side?
"The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars." - Carl Sagan

Klingon Academy now works on XP/Vista/Win 7 thanks to one dude's patches, click here for details. I highly recommend it!

Offline andyp

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »
Wow, the directing of that episode really hid how cheap the bridge set was.

I'd like to chime in on the lift LCARS. I think we're all big enough nerds here to know that that is a transporter control panel. Perhaps a vague turbolift network map, like the non-ship-specific one in the Defiant turboes would be more appropriate - recoloured to match the period of this bridge, with maybe a few controls on the side?

It also appeared as the galley in the undiscovered country, maybe ill do a kitchen variant when i am done.
as far as the panel, ill think ill be modifying it.

Offline andyp

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 05:03:52 PM »
ok not much of an update, but i modified the chairs, fixed a texture issue, adjusted the AO and added some keypads.

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 07:11:43 AM »
It also appeared as the galley in the undiscovered country, maybe ill do a kitchen variant when i am done.
as far as the panel, ill think ill be modifying it.

Didn't they also use a part of the Galaxy-Class Observation Lounge for that also?  Seems like I remember that?

Either way your bridge is starting to shape up!
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline andyp

Re: Andyp's bridge thread UPDATED 4/26/11
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 07:36:02 AM »
Didn't they also use a part of the Galaxy-Class Observation Lounge for that also?  Seems like I remember that?

Either way your bridge is starting to shape up!

in season one, sick bay was redressed for the observation lounge? Otherwise in the Undiscovered country the used the observation lounge as the formal dinning room which was the movie they also used this set for? Or else in insurrection the observation lounge, redressed from First contact, redressed from tng, was used as the mess hall, or something like that for the scene when they had the first contact with the short race, the Evora?

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
Re: Andyp's bridge thread UPDATED 4/26/11
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 07:45:20 PM »
in season one, sick bay was redressed for the observation lounge? Otherwise in the Undiscovered country the used the observation lounge as the formal dinning room which was the movie they also used this set for? Or else in insurrection the observation lounge, redressed from First contact, redressed from tng, was used as the mess hall, or something like that for the scene when they had the first contact with the short race, the Evora?

That's it!  LOL

Offline andyp

Re: Andyp's bridge thread UPDATED 4/28/11
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 02:49:18 PM »
alright had some more time to work today. Added a few more keypads, redid some keypads and displays, and modified the turbo lift Lcars

let me know what you think.

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Cookies: 151
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
Re: Andyp's bridge thread UPDATED 4/28/11
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 04:24:13 PM »
Looking very well done. in fact great work!